Adding A Traction Off Button

JMWarren

I know the newer ES's have this next to the mirror control. I also know that it can be disabled by doing a dance on the break pedals after startup.

I've been thinking though, I bet the ECU has the input for it and all that's needed is to connect a switch. Toyota is nitorious for having "features" present but not connected....like cruise control on the Yaris.

Has anyone looked into this? Does anyone with a Traction Off button wanna pull some trim and see where its connected?

Has anyone looked into this? Does anyone with a Traction Off button wanna pull some trim and see where its connected?

Wiring harnesses are usually manufactured specifically for the way a vehicle is equipped -- no extra connectors just lurking to be connected to a missing switch. It's likely that the cable/connector that leads to the Traction Off switch on newer ES350's is buried deep in the rest of the wiring harness and essentially visually untraceable. If you really want to find out you could somehow get hold of the electrical manual for a newer ES350 and trace the connection on the diagram.

Oddly our 13 year old Toyota Camry V6 has a Traction Off switch -- just to the right of the mirror control.

I'd be willing to bet there's a pin on the ECU for it. I havn't been able to find a newer service manual...only one from an '07.

I bet it'd be as simple as tapping an existing connection off the ECU harness that goes no where, or adding a pin and wire to the connector.

If anyone has a newer car and is willing to take a look I bet a ton of people that drive in snow would apperciate it.