Changing Es300 Headlights

kchin28

I need some help. I have a 2000 ES300 and just bought some Silverstars to replace the originals. Can someone tell me how to change the bulb? The lexus dealer tells me to bring the car down there and they'll do it but this should be easy shouldn't it?

Ya, just open the hood and behind the light assebmly you will see some plugs connected to the bulbs.

Disconnect the plugs and the bulbs twist off. Atleast they did on my 1995 es300. took me about 5 minutes to change all 4 bulbs. good luck and the silver stars are worth every $$$

ajay95 explanied it pretty well just twist the plug out of the light assembly first then twist the bulb out of the plug.its one of the easiest things to do to a car.the drivers side plug might be close to the battery so if you have big hands you might not be able to get it out without a plyer or worst case remove the battery.

Thanks for the replies... I tried that as my friend has a 1996 ES but the 2000 bulbs are different. I unplug the from the light assembly but the bulb doesn't twist off. Are the 2000's different from the other models. I need more help, it seems so easy.

If you have a 2000 then your lows are bulb type H7 (unless you have HID) and your highs are 9005.

The bulbs have a large rubber boot covering the wiring harness and the area where it goes into the back of the headlight housing.

Carefully wiggle the black rubber boot off.

H7 bulbs do not use a twist to get them in, there should be a metal spring clip that has to unclip on on end and then the whole spring swings out of the way and the bulb is free to remove. The low beams are the outside two headlights.

The highs are 9005 bulbs. These are the twist and then pull out type.

Once either are out, gently pull the wiring harness off the back of the bulb. Replace with new bulb and then reverse your steps to get them back in.

Here is a trick, only do one side at a time and use the other side as a visual guide if you have never done this before. The H7s are a little trickier but easy once you do it.

good luck.

steviej

Steviej,

Thanks!!! I got the Silverstars in, can't wait until it gets dark. The rubber boot was the tricky part... it actually is hard to get them back on too.

Are the fog lights on the 2000 difficult to change as well? I'm thinking to change these as well.

Kenny

Kenny, good work.

The fog lights are like a mini version of the H7 bulbs. You will just need to jack up the front end and support it. This way you got some wiggle room.

I posted a step by step on CL. Give me a few minutes and I will post it here.

I just gots to go finds it. Back in a minute.

steviej.

ps, your fogs are H3-55w. Sylvania does make a Silverstar edition of them.

kenny, I found it.

1. Rasie the car and support with two jackstands. Never trust the jack alone.

2. Remove the bolts that hold the black plastic shield(s). (the 02 had 5 10mm bolts along the underside of the bumper).

3. The black plastic push pins come next. There where about 10-12. The 02 ES had 2 sections. I removed all but one push pin for each section. This way I could rotate the shield out of the way of the back of the fog light and get my head up in there. The shield was still attached so realignment took seconds.

4. The push pins could be removed with a large screw driver and a Ford Wrench (big f....n hammer). Just knock the head off them.

or use the large screwdrive and pry them out. They will make a pop and fall out. The 02 had pins that break upon removal. Don't worry, they are cheap.

5. The back of the fog light has a plactic cover that will turn 90 degrees and then pull out. Don't pull to far cause it is connected by two wires. One wire is for the switch and one wire is for the power to the bulb.

6. The white wire is the bulb wire, it pulls out from the housing unit with a little tug.

7. There is a spring clip that you push in and at the same time move to one side, then it pulls toward the back, releasing pressure on the bulb. Hold the bulb from the back. Pull it out slowly and orient yourself with the cut-outs on the ground plate of the bulb. One side had a square notch and opposite that was a half moon notch. Remeber which is up and which is down, or left and right. The exiting bulb is your guide for insertion of the new bulb.

8. Insert the new buld in the same orientation, put the spring clip back, plug in the wire, replace the black cover and move to the other fog light. DON'T TOUCH THE BULB WITH YOUR BARE FINGER. Body oils will create hot spots on the glass and the crack or burn out quicker.

9. The other fog light interesting enough was the same, but the spring clip and wire were opposite and upside down from the first side. My guess is that Lexus makes one housing and uses it on both sides, thus making a mirror image.

10. Turn on your lights to see if you connected them right.

11. Stand back and admire your work.

12. Get back under the car and reposition the shields. Put the bolts in but not tight all the way.

13. Replace the push pins with new ones (Lexus parts department if you want original) or AutoZone for a bag of push pins--usually a bag of 10 costs about $3.00. The push pins come in many sizes and varieties. Bring one of the popped originals with you to size correctly. The christmas tree type can be used several times before the multitude of tiny barbs are too weak.

14. Tighten the bolts, lower the car. Drive to friend's house and show them what you did. Enjoy the rest of your day.

This took me about 45 minutes. I didn't raise the car, so it was a bit tight but do-able. The car is stock and not lowered.

I actually put in PIAA ion crystals because I like the yellow fog light look. But the Silverstar fogs will match your new headlights.

Good luck and have fun.

steviej

after reading this thread i changed my lowbeams today. the auto parts store didn't have silverstars so i got GE super blue's and they are a big improvement over the stock lamps. i will order silverstars for the highs

the change was really quick and easy on the 95