Noise In Front End

Please let me know if anyone has experience front end rattle under the hood at low speeds up to 25 MPH. I have a 09' LS460L AWD. It feels as though the front end is going to fall off. I have notified the dealership numerous times while being serviced and they claim there is no rattle or that they have tighten something under the hood that should help. After my 25K service the noise is now worse and easily detected by others. Is this something others have experienced?

Please let me know if anyone has experience front end rattle under the hood at low speeds up to 25 MPH. I have a 09' LS460L AWD. It feels as though the front end is going to fall off. I have notified the dealership numerous times while being serviced and they claim there is no rattle or that they have tighten something under the hood that should help. After my 25K service the noise is now worse and easily detected by others. Is this something others have experienced?

I have a 2009 SWB AWD with approx 17K and have not heard any such rattle.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Could the rattle be from a known Lexus LS460/460L problem, a faulty brake actuator? There's a service bulletin out on this and it is noticeable at low speeds -- actually, any time you brake it sounds like low-grade barking or popping -- that's air leaking from the brake actuator. But you seemed to say you get the rattle even when not braking.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2011 LS460 SWB AWD and haven't experienced any rattles. It is the quietest car I have ever driven – so far at least.

Mike

Hello, just came across your post regarding the front end noise. I have a 2010 ls460 with just about 10,000 miles. While on a recent trip to Arizona I was going about 20 to 25 mph slowing in traffic for a stop light. It was actually just slow moving rush hour traffic with a slow moving pace of tops maybe 40 mph. Anyway, all of a sudden I had a really loud reverberation from under the hood that sounded as if something was beating the side of the car with a hard rubber hammer. It was very rapid in sequence and really seemed as if it was not far from my feet. There were no warning lights or fault indicators on the instrument panel. I am sure that I did not hit anything in the road so I was very concerned. I took the car to 2 different Lexus dealers and they looked it over and said that they were concerned that it sounded like a brake actuator issue that had occurred on one of the other Lexus models--but they had not heard of any issues with the ls460. The problem has only occurred once and I have been driving the car about 6 weeks since then with no other problems. Regardless, it sounds like the same thing that may have happened to you. I hope this might support any other issues that you might have. If you have found out your problem I would appreciate you posting the fix. Best regards forthlexus

• 4 years later...

I just bought a Certified 2012 Rx350. After about 30 minutes of highway driving I get a sound like corn popping from engine compartment. It will stop for a while and then start again. Not a rattle, not a ticking. Not a slow speeds, not until well into the trip.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/7/2019 at 1:30 PM, Don Draper said:

I have a 2008 RWD LS 460 that has front end rattle going over bumps.replaced control arms and still have rattle. Mechanic says suspension is solid. Any recommendations?

Hi Don, I’m experiencing the same issue on my 2008 LS460. I too replaced control arms, twice. Once aftermarket parts and recently at the dealership. I was taken to the cleaners and told more parts need to be replaced, all with no guarantees that the issue would be fixed. Any luck on your end?