Es350 Navigation Default

Gunner45

Just dumped our 2009 Mini Clubman for a 2009 ES350 with navigation. The Mini was a pain but had a few nice defaults that I don't see in the Lexus. The Mini would let you choose which screen you wanted to see on the navigation screen: navigation, car data, phone or radio and stay there. The Lexus seems to default back to the navigation screen. After choosing the audio or climate, it goes back to the map display which is very distracting and dangerous since it draws your eyes away from the road. How do you stop this?

Also, when my wife or I got into the Mini, it just found a phone and hooked up. With the Lexus, we have to go into setup and choose a phone manually. If I set it up to find her phone, I have to manually choose my phone if I jump in to it to go to the store. Kinda a lot of bother when it should just find a phone and hook up.

Thanks for any answers. Will someone tell me to read the manual?

Just dumped our 2009 Mini Clubman for a 2009 ES350 with navigation. The Mini was a pain but had a few nice defaults that I don't see in the Lexus. The Mini would let you choose which screen you wanted to see on the navigation screen: navigation, car data, phone or radio and stay there. The Lexus seems to default back to the navigation screen. After choosing the audio or climate, it goes back to the map display which is very distracting and dangerous since it draws your eyes away from the road. How do you stop this?

Also, when my wife or I got into the Mini, it just found a phone and hooked up. With the Lexus, we have to go into setup and choose a phone manually. If I set it up to find her phone, I have to manually choose my phone if I jump in to it to go to the store. Kinda a lot of bother when it should just find a phone and hook up.

Thanks for any answers. Will someone tell me to read the manual?

I knew I had seen this before, but it took me awhile to find it again, I am assuming the 2009 manuals the same as the 2010. If so, look on page 22, item "1". then go to page 295, item "3".

Here is the sequence: Go to Nav screen Setup; do- Setup;-General;-Auto Screen change;-Off. (default is off).

Can't help you with the other matter.

Paul

Thanks, I'll go out and try that. Still waiting for something for the phone. Seems there should be a setting that "find any phone within range that's been linked"

On the phone...my phone connects every time I get in the car. I don’t see why you can’t just add another phone although I have never tried it...then you would just pick which phone from the menu. Or if the only phone yours or your wife’s was in the car it should select that phone automatically.

Now IMHO you may not want to do that. I have both phones saved in our X5...and it connects every time automatically and I hate it. I have deleted my phone on a few occasions but I have added it back just because it IS a PIA not having the X5 pick up my phone. The concept is great...if I get in connects to my phone, if she gets in connects to hers. But if my wife and I get in the car you never know which phone connects to the blue tooth. It sometimes gets hers and sometimes mine…not sure if the Lexus is the same or not. I have never added her phone to my GX…since she isn't allowed to drive it much. :P

Mine also connects automatically every time.

What kind of phone do you have? Some phones require you to set a Bluetooth device as trusted (Blackberrys), and if you don't do that you have to manually connect each time.

I have an old fashioned Motorola W755 flip phone. My wife has a Samsung I500 Fascinate. I have it set up to recognize both phones and it selects her phone when she gets in the car with no problem. Just a PITA to have to select my phone when I get in by myself. Not a problem 99.9% of the time since I ride my motorcycle everywhere unless she's still in bed and it's raining. I put 500 miles a year on my truck but 20,000 miles on my bike.

She says the Navigation is still the default when she starts the car, but if she selects the audio or climate it stays there unless she changes it. That's better then it was, but I'd still like it to start on the audio if that's where it left off last time it was driven.

Is she the primary driver?

Unfortunately the system on the 09- car works that way. if it is accustomed to her phone pairing, thats the one it auto pairs. If you get in it you have to make it pair with yours once, then it should automatically pair with yours and she should have to manually do it the first time.

The 2010+ system will try the primary phone, then try the secondary phone until it achieves a pairing...but the old system will not...

I have an old fashioned Motorola W755 flip phone. My wife has a Samsung I500 Fascinate. I have it set up to recognize both phones and it selects her phone when she gets in the car with no problem. Just a PITA to have to select my phone when I get in by myself. Not a problem 99.9% of the time since I ride my motorcycle everywhere unless she's still in bed and it's raining. I put 500 miles a year on my truck but 20,000 miles on my bike.

She says the Navigation is still the default when she starts the car, but if she selects the audio or climate it stays there unless she changes it. That's better then it was, but I'd still like it to start on the audio if that's where it left off last time it was driven.

That's odd. I have a 2010 ES 350, and the screen defaults to whatever was on when i shut the vehicle off, which is usually the audio screen.

I have looked through all the 2010 nav manuals and I'm not sure your going to be able to get what you want. It may not be what your used to, but the rest of the car will more than make up for it.

Paul

Thanks for the help guys and gals. The Nav screen still starts with the map showing but once it's changed to a different screen it stays there. The phone deal in no biggie since I don't drive the car much. I ride unless it's raining, so 99% of the time I'm on my Yamaha.

Yeah, that phone thing bugs me. I wish that these BT systems in cars would have some kind of preference system for auto-pairing with phones... like look for phone #1 first before #2, #3, etc. I hate having to manually select the default phone to pair. Especially cause I usually don't notice that my wife's phone is set until after I'm moving down the street...

The wife's '08 G37 auto-pairing system seems to rely on a race condition... whichever phone shows up to the car system first gets paired...