Please Help: Dvd Player Sound Thru Car Speakers

weird60625

I bought a 2004 GX470 which has rear dvd system under the middle celling between front seat and 2nd back seat. I have 2 questions regarding to this dvd system hope someone can help me out:

1. What happened is i can play dvd but no sound go thru the car speakers. I tried pressing the "disc" button or the "mode" button from the steeling wheel but it show CD only not dvd ... can anyone help me to get the dvd sound go thru car speakers ?

2. is there any way that i can play dvd from the front touch screen. I tried puled up the hand break, parked the car, pressing the "mode" button but still show only CD.

Please help, your inputs are much appreciate.

The rear system is controlled by the remote control. The sound is displayed by the headphones. The front DVDs are played by the DVD player in the console under the driver's right armrest.

All this is explained in the owner's manual. If you don't have one, you can probably get one from corporate lexus online.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

from my understanding the front screen is not designed to play the DVD only the rear....

the audio "problem" may be due to your model year... i can listen to the DVD on my 06... possibly the earlier models were headphones only?

Try pressing the disc button 2x. My previous 04 rx330. The rses would play the sound of the DVD in the rear. Press the emergency brake and hit your disc button 2x DVD will come on front screen and you should hear and see the DVD on front screen once you release the emergency brake the front screen will go back to nav or whatever it was before. The sound should play through the system at least mine did.

I own a 2004 GX 470 and the DVD should absolutely play the audio through the main speaker system and not just the wireless head-phones. LEXIRX330 is correct...Try pressing the disc button from your radio head-unit a few times and it should eventually display a "DVD" option on your navigation screen (may need to have an actual DVD playing). In order to display the DVD movie and set up the DVD from the nav screen, you need to be in Park with the Emergency Break on. It's a saftey feature...This way, you cannot access or watch a DVD while driving :) However, the Rear DVD screen should be on when a DVD is playing. But, you may need to manually turn the rear screen on using the remote control. In my opinion, the rear DVD screen should always automatically turn on when a DVD is playing and the screen is opened. You should not have to manually turn on the rear screen using the remote every time.. This is poor design. So, if you are driving and you (or the person in the passenger seat) loads a DVD, the only way (that I know) to turn the Rear DVD Screen ON is with the Remote Control. It will NOT automatically turn on. You have to manually turn the screen on with the remote control. If the batteries are dead or you lose the remote control then you are out of luck and you would have to pull over and access the settings from the nav screen to turn the rear display on.

On a related topic, does anyone know if it is possible to play an iPod through the main speaker system when using the AUDIO / VIDEO ports located under the rear A/C climate control in the back seat? For some reason, I can only get these inputs to work with the wireless head-phones. Is that the way these inputs were designed?

• 7 months later...

The rear system is controlled by the remote control. The sound is displayed by the headphones. The front DVDs are played by the DVD player in the console under the driver's right armrest.

All this is explained in the owner's manual. If you don't have one, you can probably get one from corporate lexus online.

Pete

Get to know Lot’s of information.

• 1 year later...

I own a 2004 GX 470 and the DVD should absolutely play the audio through the main speaker system and not just the wireless head-phones. LEXIRX330 is correct...Try pressing the disc button from your radio head-unit a few times and it should eventually display a "DVD" option on your navigation screen (may need to have an actual DVD playing). In order to display the DVD movie and set up the DVD from the nav screen, you need to be in Park with the Emergency Break on. It's a saftey feature...This way, you cannot access or watch a DVD while driving smile.gif However, the Rear DVD screen should be on when a DVD is playing. But, you may need to manually turn the rear screen on using the remote control. In my opinion, the rear DVD screen should always automatically turn on when a DVD is playing and the screen is opened. You should not have to manually turn on the rear screen using the remote every time.. This is poor design. So, if you are driving and you (or the person in the passenger seat) loads a DVD, the only way (that I know) to turn the Rear DVD Screen ON is with the Remote Control. It will NOT automatically turn on. You have to manually turn the screen on with the remote control. If the batteries are dead or you lose the remote control then you are out of luck and you would have to pull over and access the settings from the nav screen to turn the rear display on.

On a related topic, does anyone know if it is possible to play an iPod through the main speaker system when using the AUDIO / VIDEO ports located under the rear A/C climate control in the back seat? For some reason, I can only get these inputs to work with the wireless head-phones. Is that the way these inputs were designed?

Did anyone ever figure out a way to get audio/video input to play over speakers?