96 Ls400 Will Not Start

rgates

The wife's 96 LS400 stopped running today with out any warning. She pulled up, shut the car off, 30 minutes later it will not start. Seems to be a fuel issue. The car will only run on starting fluid. Tomorrow I will break a fuel line loose to verify fuel is making it to the fuel rails.I have read many posts with regards to this issue. I am hoping to get some help with a few questions.

1.) Where is the fuel relay located and how can I test it?

2.) I have read about jumping the B+ to the F terminal. Where can this be done at?

3.) How does the back seat come out, I can not find any instructions for the 96?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Update

Checked the fuel pressure this morning. It has plenty. Checked the relay. It tested OK. The car started right up. Nothing like an intermittent failure, you got to love it. To Drive or Not to Drive, is the million dollar question!!

Can the fuel pumps become intermittent or are they either broke or good?

Thanks

Could be fuel pump. They can get stuck and when they free up they'll run fine for a while. Relays can also wear as the points/contacts arc a bit each make and unmake cycle. A relay is a lot cheaper than a fuel pump. Maybe you throw a new fuel pump relay in as a calculated guess. If you have to replace the pump later at least you'll be more certain then.

Mine was intermittent. If the car doesn't start, its because the fuel pump has gone bad or is going bad so it overheats. You let it sit and it cools and will start working again. Eventually it completely dies out. The only problem is when its working fine then you can't tell what the problem is for sure