Ethanol In Gas

I have a 1998 GS400 and wonder about any harmful effect of using 91 octane gas that has 10% ethanol.If the gas can cause damage what can be used as an additive?

Where I am, one station sells 90 octane regular with 10% ethanol. I've been using it for two years with no adverse affect on how the car performs.

The car manufacturers all seem to agree that 10% poses no issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I use E10 too, and seems to not effect the car negatively. However, I found a station that sells 100% gasoline, at slightly higher price, and i am going to start using that and see if it improves performance and mileage. Everything I have read says you should see 2-5% improvement in MPG with pure gasoline verses 10% ethanol mix.

• 2 weeks later...

im from NYC where 100% of our stations are now 10% mixed and I do frequently drive out to NJ where only a handful of stations started to use the 10% mix. from comparison there is a slight drop in MPG (NYC gas 14-16 mpg, NJ gas 15-17 MPG) but not enough to really notice any performance losses.