Navigation System

dmbech

Is there a definitive way to tell what generation nav system you have? I have a 2005 LS430 which by all accounts is supposed to have a gen4 nav system. However, when I try to use a gen4 10.1 DVD I get the warning that maps can't be read. When I use a gen3 7.1 DVD everything works fine. So this would lead me to believe I have a gen3 nav system which is contrary to all the documentation I have read. Any ideas? Thanks.

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what_to_order.php says Gen 4. Are you using a genuine Gen 4 DVD? If so, have you asked a Lexus dealer?

a friend has a 2003 LX470 with nav.. and said it takes forever to get it "plotted" to use... now I know less than zero about these. is there any way to speed them up or upgrade them, and what sort of $$$ would he be looking at?

I know that is a loaded question, but I dont know how to ask it properly.. email billydpowell@hotmail.com

Sounds like a pirated DVD copy question again.....

Not sure how this is a pirated DVD copy question. The original questions was how to identify what generation nav system you have. Now I have an additional data point which is a Gen 2/3 10.1 DVD works fine in my system. So two gen 3 DVDs work and a gen 4 DVD does not work. That would lead me to believe I have a gen 3 nav system in a 2005 LS430 which is contrary to everything I have read and the reason for the original question. There must be a way to identify which gen nav system is installed by physical inspection or some other means. Something more definitive than a list someone published.

Not sure how this is a pirated DVD copy question. The original questions was how to identify what generation nav system you have. Now I have an additional data point which is a Gen 2/3 10.1 DVD works fine in my system. So two gen 3 DVDs work and a gen 4 DVD does not work. That would lead me to believe I have a gen 3 nav system in a 2005 LS430 which is contrary to everything I have read and the reason for the original question. There must be a way to identify which gen nav system is installed by physical inspection or some other means. Something more definitive than a list someone published.

OK, this is weird. You said previously that all the documentation you had found said that your 05 LS has Gen 4 nav. Then you say that a website provided by Lexus that tells you which nav version you have is not reliable because you need "something more definitive that a list someone published

Did you buy this car new? If you did not, have you considered that the original nav may have failed and that a previous owner may have replaced it with a nav unit from an early LS430? If your nav supports a Bluetooth phone, then it is gen 4. If it does not, then the nav is either a gen 2 out of an 01 LS430 or a gen 3 out of an 02-03 LS430.

Consider pulling the nav and checking the part number on the sticker attached to it to confirm which generation it is. It takes only a few minutes to jerk the nav unit out of the dash.

OK is the DVD you are using factory stamped and printed as Lexus or is a DIY DVD with a felt tip marker indicating what it is?

Pull the black box out of the trunk where you put the DVD in. If it says part #86841-50090, then your hardware is from Gen 4. If so, then i'd imagine your dvd is bad. If you'd like, send it to me and I'll see if I can read it in my '06 LS 430.