60,000 Mile Service

So, both cars we have just hit 60,000 miles (IS350/RX400H). Where do we go from here? besides changing the oil and the air filters (engine and inside glove compartment), what all else do you guys recommend doing? According to the nearby Lexus this is what 60K service looks like:

"Replace engine oil and filter, Replace engine air filter, Replace engine coolant, Replace brake fluid, Rotate tires, Road test vehicle, Courtesy car wash and interior vacuum. Alignment and balance of wheels is recommended, but not included. *Synthetic oil extra.

Inspect the following:

Valves (audible inspection), adjust if necessary, Drive belts, Fuel lines and connections,fuel tank vapor, vent system hoses, fuel tank band, Fuel tank cap gasket, Charcoal canister, Exhaust pipes and mountings "

Can I do any of these on my own? what do yall suggest?

thanks

CJay, many of the items listed are not shown in the maintenance schedule for an RX400h (Warranty and Service Guide.) If you do not have one I think one of us can either scan the page or email same.

Tom

For our RX400h, the transmission fluid is due to be changed at 60,000 miles. The coolant is not due until 90,000 miles. Our brake fluid was replaced at 30,000 miles, I believe so it may be due for replacement at 60K.

I randomly picked the 2008 model year and attached the maintenance manuals that cover the IS350 and RX400h which I downloaded from https://secure.drivers.lexus.com

Owners, navigation and maintenance manuals may be viewed and downloaded there without registering.

I see that a transmission fluid change is normally done on an RX400h at 60,000 miles only if the the vehicle is used for towing. Changing it regardless of whether or not you tow certainly doesn't hurt.

2008_ES_GS_IS_LS_SC Maintenance Manual.pdf

2008 RX400h Maintenance Manual.pdf

When I had my 60,000 mile service done, the dealership insist that I change the transmission fluid, quote: "driving in New York City is considered severe condition." I disagree, and asked them to just inspect the fluid per the maintenance schedule. Turns out the fluid is fine.

The fluid used is synthetic, and they should last a long time, supposedly "lifetime" . The maintenance schedule doesn't ever call for straight up replacement, at 150,000 miles(the end of listed schedule). Many new cars are coming with sealed transmission system and lifetime transmission fluid now, they don't even have a transmission fluid dip stick anymore.

You only replace it at 60,000 mile, then every 30,000 miles, if you primarily drive in desert, dirt roads, or while towing.

Just to be safe, I will replace my transmission fluid along with timing belt, differential fluids, and brake fluids at 90,000 mile.

So, both cars we have just hit 60,000 miles (IS350/RX400H). Where do we go from here? besides changing the oil and the air filters (engine and inside glove compartment), what all else do you guys recommend doing? According to the nearby Lexus this is what 60K service looks like:

"Replace engine oil and filter, Replace engine air filter, Replace engine coolant, Replace brake fluid, Rotate tires, Road test vehicle, Courtesy car wash and interior vacuum. Alignment and balance of wheels is recommended, but not included. *Synthetic oil extra.

Inspect the following:

Valves (audible inspection), adjust if necessary, Drive belts, Fuel lines and connections,fuel tank vapor, vent system hoses, fuel tank band, Fuel tank cap gasket, Charcoal canister, Exhaust pipes and mountings "

Can I do any of these on my own? what do yall suggest?

thanks