Telescope Works Tilt Does Not

Woozy

I have read all the posts on the tilt gear problem, and I will say the video and the pictures were great, my problem is that there appears to be no power getting to the tild motor at all.. there is no noise at all when I activate the switch, although the switch works fine fot the tele *BLEEP*tion. I suppose it could be the motor, but i have seen no posts on the motor going bad. I was interested in the thread regarding the gear where somone talked about the wiring "pulling" the connectors apart, put that seemed to cause an intermittent problem, where mine simply does nothing. I Hope im not bothering th group. but I want to know if the switch is a problem area. or could the wiring problem have completely disconnected the tilt connectop, or is it a single connedctor for both functions.. and Ideas would be great, and im sorry if im asking stupid questions.. thanks

Woozy

UPDATE... I took off the covers to the steering colume to see if maybe it was binding wires, they all looked fine. I saw that there was a connector that is right above the cover to the gears for the tilt motorand goes to the columne mounted switch and back to the motor, so i figured that this was what fed power to the motor. So I disconnected the connector and checked the output side from the switch, figuring that I would see 12VDC ant the 2 prongs, one for up and one for down.. well I got nothing on either one. At that point i figured that the switch was bad, because i knew power was getting to the switch as the tele fuction worked. To prove the point i decided to jump 12VDC to the connector going to the motor, assuming that it would tilt up or down depending one which pin i was on... DANG.. I got nothing doing this either... so now in TOTALLY STUMPED... I dont believe BOTH the switch AND the motor are bad... especially as the switch would only be half bad as the tele function works fine from the switch..

ANYONE have any Ideas?

Have i LOST MY MIND...

ANYONE have any Ideas?

Have i LOST MY MIND...

Yes, unfortunately you have lost your mind. I am afraid the only way out of this mess is to sell your car to me really cheap and go buy a Honda. Sorry, I wish I had better news. It was a good ride while it lasted but its over. :( :lol: ;)

Seriously, when troubleshooting electrical you often have to recheck and recheck. It is very easy to NOT get a connection when you think you have one. And another really common issue is to think you know which wire is which when, in reality, you have the wrong pair. And you are right in thinking that both motor and switch would not be simultaneously out (in less, of course the motor shorted out and took the switch with it). Re-verify the wiring and try ohm'ing out the motor to make sure you are on the windings. Try to find a schematic, or sketch out the switch wiring if you can. The first order is to get familiar with the wiring. And are you certain that the tilt circuit is not on a different fuse?

I am looking at an ls 430(2006) thinking seriously of buying it.But it has the same problem

Is this an unusual problem with the 430 as I never had this with my ls 400.

I priced the motor for it and it was 10308 euros incl vat.Any ideas ?

Are there any usual problems to look out for, as I dont want to get stuck with expensive bills etc.

I am going to get it checked asap /2moro.

To buy or not to buy.........A lovely car with a lot of electrics.

Will let you know.

• 5 months later...