Need Advice: How To Clean Under Hood 99 Gs300

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is it safe to clean under hood with power washer (ie. Car Wash Do-It-Yourself)

I NEED ADVICE/TIPS/SUGGESTIONS/DO'S/DONT'S ON HOW TO CLEAN UNDER THE HOOD OF MY GS300......

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on whether or not it is safe to use a power washer to clean under the hood and around engine parts and electronics/computers/battery? What do all you think?

Any specifics on what NOT to do?

Also, what do you all do annually to maintain parts under the hood? Any special things if the car is at 155k?

Thanks for the help!

I've cleaned under the hood of many cars and trucks. You can buy something like engine degreaser from any auto store. Spray the engine and then spray it down.

You already know you should never spray any electronic components directly. You should cover the alternator with a plastic bag as to not get it wet. Make sure

not to spray at the spark plug wires directly or the dist. I've always cleaned with the engine running, in which case you cant put the plastic bags on some parts.

I though i'd check out a detailing shop by my house come sping time. From what i understand they used steam to clean under the hood. So it's not water being shot

at the engine. oh, by the way, if you end up doing it yourself, don't have the degreaser sit too long, it will start to eat away at your paint in the engine bay or even on the

intake. hope this helps.