How Quiet Is The Cabin

kuziwk

I have an app for android that test's db's. My car claims to be at 68 db's at 60mph....i thought it's suppose to be 58 or something like that?? I heard windnoise around the front windshield and side windows but that is expected right? i have all the bottom floor plugs in.

68db sounds about right for the LS.

There are a lot of other factors than just level reading. I find the road thumps and wind seem a little more prominent in the LS than other cars; but I suspect it's because the car itself (engine, transmission) are so quiet.

I know some people clean and reinstall the weatherstripping on top of the window to reduce wind noise; and also your tire choice, the condition of the road, the ambient temperature all are factors as to how loud the car will sound. Also as things get older the rubber bushings and such get stiffer; so they transmit more noise and vibration.

I have an app for android that test's db's. My car claims to be at 68 db's at 60mph....i thought it's suppose to be 58 or something like that?? I heard windnoise around the front windshield and side windows but that is expected right? i have all the bottom floor plugs in.

68db sounds about right for the LS.

There are a lot of other factors than just level reading. I find the road thumps and wind seem a little more prominent in the LS than other cars; but I suspect it's because the car itself (engine, transmission) are so quiet.

I know some people clean and reinstall the weatherstripping on top of the window to reduce wind noise; and also your tire choice, the condition of the road, the ambient temperature all are factors as to how loud the car will sound. Also as things get older the rubber bushings and such get stiffer; so they transmit more noise and vibration.

Hmmm, well some good thoughts i ditched the app though because it was pretty inaccurate i think. Talking normally would bring it up to 60-70 where it should be like 40 so i dont trust the app. I was just curious is all. The car is quiet i mean i shouldnt expect it to be brand new with 200 000 miles on it. BTW its alot quiter when there is snow on the ground so im thinking its the tires? Michelin harmony's on the front but the backs are more aggressive cheap winter tires not to mention they are on the 30 wear line.

Sound Pressure level readings are tricky. Where you locate the sensor and its direction will have major impact on the reading. Also a cell phone isn't exactly a calibrated instrument for SPL readings. It doesn't have to have traceable to a standard accuracy that a measurement instrument would. So I wouldn't expect too much from such a device other than being able to compare two or more noise/sound levels to each other.

Like all Toyotas, Lexus's have considerable road noise on coarse road surfaces and on concrete freeways due to the lack of accoustical insulation in the doors and under the carpets. So the only way to keep road noise low is to run the quietest summer tires available and rotate them often or to install sound absorbing and barrier materials inside the doors, under the carpets and behind and under the rear seat. If you are on a budget, large thick, asphalt impregnated sound deadener pads can be found under and behind the front seats of '86-'91 Ford Taurus's in junkyards.