Lexus Es 350 - Vibration

Ali4AU

Update on my vibration problem (2011 es 350, 34k kilometers, ie pretty new: the vibration happens under torque (ie on hard acceleration) AND it gets more noticeable as the car warms up. Typically, then, you'll feel the vibration through the floor when climbing a hill or accelerating over 50 mph (80km per hour). It's a constant vibration over 70 mph, which I think is because at that speed torque is constant.

significantly, there is NO vibration at ANY speed when the vehicle is gliding, ie, no foot on the gas.

Engine mounts and/or wheel bearings I'm thinking? Now.... how to get that diagnosed and then fixed under warranty!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on my vibration problem (2011 es 350, 34k kilometers, ie pretty new: the vibration happens under torque (ie on hard acceleration) AND it gets more noticeable as the car warms up. Typically, then, you'll feel the vibration through the floor when climbing a hill or accelerating over 50 mph (80km per hour). It's a constant vibration over 70 mph, which I think is because at that speed torque is constant.

significantly, there is NO vibration at ANY speed when the vehicle is gliding, ie, no foot on the gas.

Engine mounts and/or wheel bearings I'm thinking? Now.... how to get that diagnosed and then fixed under warranty!!!

So you have vibration under load. well I would look at a few things that may be possible:

1. Ignition issue- one cylinder misfiring- any CEL or codes ?

2. Torque converter failing (doubtful)

3. CVJ loose or failing- check by doing left and right figure 8 turns at low speed in a parking lot. If you hear clicking then you have a bad axle.

4. Crankshaft or camshaft position sensors. (doubtful)

5. Loose/bent wheel /wheel bearing-spindle/etc.

6. engine mount.

7. Out of round tire.

BTW, the wheel bearings on an ES will "growl" very loudly at 40mph when shot. No mistaking it.

• 10 months later...

I'm having this problem in my new 2014 ES, and see it's happening to allot of other people as well. My dealer told me they don't know why it does it. I've submitted a this to the NHTSA to see if we can get a recall on this problem.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Contact

What tires do you have on your ES? BTW, you can't get a recall until you find out what the issue is. Then it has to be present on a number of vehicles in the same model year. The problem has to be a defect to a component or assembly that can be a safety issue to get a recall.

I have Michelin P225/45R16 on. 18inch

Correct on the recall, and we need to report more of the problems to get Lexus to find the Issue. NHTSA was telling me that this has been brought up with this car many times, now and case is moving along to force Lexus to do more about it.

Yes maybe but the 2013 & 2014 model years are a completely different car from the 2007-2012 platform. So any issues with previous generations don't count. If you have the Michelin Energy tires they may be the culprit.

• 1 month later...

2011 ES 350 with 38,000 miles. I drive 30-35,000 miles / year.

I am late to this party, but have been dealing with the "vibration" issue since replacing tires in May with Michelin Premiers. Vibration starts at 65-70, under the seat and through the steering wheel. Bought tires from a reputable dealer, have been back 3 times for diagnosis, but no luck.

Have not yet tried Road Force Balancing, but will do that after contacting the Lexus dealer. Really frustrating. Will report back after the dealer visit.

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone, I just recently purchased an 2007 ES 350 With the same vibration problem starting at 40mph. I've had the car for a week and I've taken the tires to get balanced and I still recieve the vibration. One thing I've noticed is that the vibration only happening when im accelerating as soon I take my foot off the gas it stops. I've taken it to my mechanic who says that its my axles, so we will see how this $600 venture will turn out.

If it only happens under acceleration load that it is probably not a uspension issue but a drivetrain issue. Bad cvj axles might be the culprit but both going bad is doubtful. Let us know how it turns out.

I've never heard of road force either so add my name to the dumb list. Regarding the vibration, totally unacceptable. Wheels and tires are all different. Of course you could have a damaged suspension component. An alignment should certainly eliminated that IF they knew what they were doing

As previously mentioned, alignments are difficult to do correctly. There are even specifications for the amount of fuel in the tank. I'd suspect tires wheels alignment suspension in that order

• 4 months later...

on my '07 ES 350 about 130000 mi, had shimmy with acceleration, had one CV joint and one motor mount replaced, fixed the problem. Still feel something loose at slow speed going over bumps but my mechanic said my tie rods, etc. were OK. Still, no vibration at any speed.

• 4 months later...

Sharing my experience and fix for a vibration while accelerating. 2007 ES350 with 126,000 miles. There were four vibration symptoms.

1) Accelerating uphill in the 40-45 mph range. Vibration was somewhat noticable in the steering, however the entire vehicle would shake.

2) Slight vibration at speeds above 70 mph.

3) Vibration would get worse as the car warmed up.

4) Vibration while braking to a stop that could be confused for a warped rotor problem.

Lexus dealer went through a series of checks/tests. Inspected motor mounts. Road force balanced tires. Replaced tires/wheels with test/wheels. No issues found with any of those tests isolated the problem to the passenger side drive axle. The CV Joint closest to the transmission had a split rubber boot, was slinging grease and the bearings went bad. Replaced the entire passenger side drive axle and all vibrations are gone. Lexus dealer quoted $1200 to do the job. (Really?) Goodyear Service got it done for $400. All is well!

• 10 months later...

Just replace the rotors, that is the problem. AND if you do that, you'd better replace the brake pads too. If you need good one, get the AKEBONO STREET PERFORMANCE (the racers use those). They are amazing. And the Brembo rotors. Good luck !

• 5 years later...