Searching The Forums?

captaincrunch

I'm not defending this forum but a minimum search string is common on the forums I use - automotive and otherwise. The owner of this forum for a while used Google search to allow 3-character string searches but it had far more drawbacks than the search provided by the forum software. Personally, I great appreciate the forum owner abandoning the Google search and restoring to OEM search. Thanks Steve!

I'm not defending this forum but a minimum search string is common on the forums I use - automotive and otherwise. The owner of this forum for a while used Google search to allow 3-character string searches but it had far more drawbacks than the search provided by the forum software. Personally, I great appreciate the forum owner abandoning the Google search and restoring to OEM search. Thanks Steve!

How do you then search for a topic such as "oil" or "gas"? Thanks.

Paul

Paul

You can't. You search for something else that might be in the threads you are looking for such as "gasoline" or "change" (as in "oil change") -- anything with four or more characters. You can also search for threads containing multiple strings, e.g. +gasoline +change

My understanding is that purpose of requiring longer search strings is to improve website performance and limit search results to a manageable amount. If for example, one could search for 2-character strings, every thread post containing a word with those two characters would be returned.

Paul

You can't. You search for something else that might be in the threads you are looking for such as "gasoline" or "change" (as in "oil change") -- anything with four or more characters. You can also search for threads containing multiple strings, e.g. +gasoline +change

My understanding is that purpose of requiring longer search strings is to improve website performance and limit search results to a manageable amount. If for example, one could search for 2-character strings, every thread post containing a word with those two characters would be returned.

Makes sense.

Thanks Jim.

Paul

Makes sense.

Thanks Jim.

or lubricants! :rolleyes: And...gasoline! :rolleyes:

I've got to stop! :cheers:

• 2 months later...

I've had luck including 3 letter words in phrases and putting the phrase in quotes:

"air filter"

"oil change"

Has any admin tried reducing the minimum to 3 and monitored the results? I run another forum and we had the same problem, including the well deserved complaints! ;) The default was 4 I believe. We set it down to a 3 letter word minimum and have had no problems. This was within the forum search, no Google required. There should be a setting for this without needing Google Search.

On the top of the forums, thre is a search box, next to the search box you should see a drop down, select google search and it will search google for this site only. That will allow you to do a 3 letter search.

post-4-0-34057500-1304507901_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the update on the search. As I think I reported some months ago, search results do not display in a usable format properly on my Windows 7 64-bit, Internet Explorer 9 system. I have had this system since last summer and the search results page on this forum is, from what I remember, the only one that has not displayed properly. Here is an example of what is returned when I search on a literal and my member name in the LS forum.

post-2157-0-77603200-1340148417_thumb.jp