Is It The Right Time To Buy A New Ls460?

Hello everyone..I recently purchased a 2010 GX460 for my wife and I'm looking at the 2011 LS460 AWD for myself. My question is, now the 4th generation LS has been out since around 2007, is now the right time for me to buy a new LS460? Are there any impending or rumored design change/new generation of LS coming out within the next year or 2? I would be really mad at myself if I bought a new 2011 LS and the 2012 model is completely re-designed....

Thanks for your input!

Hello everyone..I recently purchased a 2010 GX460 for my wife and I'm looking at the 2011 LS460 AWD for myself. My question is, now the 4th generation LS has been out since around 2007, is now the right time for me to buy a new LS460? Are there any impending or rumored design change/new generation of LS coming out within the next year or 2? I would be really mad at myself if I bought a new 2011 LS and the 2012 model is completely re-designed....

Thanks for your input!

Welcome to LOC! :cheers:

How do you and your wife like the GX460? I love mine!

I would think the LS will be redesigned in the next 2 years. I love the LS 460 and if it weren't for my business and my little ones that is what I would have. Good luck!

The LS is on a 6 year cycle. So it was introduced in 2007, had a refresh for 2010...unchanged for 2011, should be unchanged for 2012, and all new for 2013.

So if you buy a 2011 now you should be okay until fall of 2012 when the 2013 comes out.

Thing to remember is there will always be something new out...if you like the LS...get it...there will always be something new on the horizon to wait for.

Thanks for the quick replies and input guys! We are really enjoying our GX460, the interior is very comfortable with the semi-aniline leather, and it's like a tank driving around downtown Chicago. Speaking of the semi-aniline leather...after talking to the dealers, I guess they don't really make the regular LS460 AWD with comfort plus package (which includes the semi-aniline leather seats), and I guess they only come in the long wheel base versions. Does the semi-aniline leather really make a big different int he softness and the feel of the leather? Is it very noticeable when compared to normal leather in a LS460?

Thanks again!

As a follow Chicagoland resident, I was wondering if you found a good dealer in our area? I went to the autoshow last weekend, and couldn't believe some of the info I heard from certain sales reps. The BMW guy was really off the wall.

Have a good evening, Rodbuster.

McGrath Lexus in Chicago is okay, we bought our GX460 there. But I am planning on buying the LS from Lexus of Mishawaka in South Bend, IN..where I purchased my 04 RX. I'm looking at the LS460 AWD with comfort package, cold weather package, nav + ML speaker system..MSRP is around $74k and the guy I'm working with there is willing to down to around $69,500...please correct me if I'm wrong..but sounds like a pretty good deal.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your input!

I purchased an 2011 LS460 SWB AWD and couldn't be happier with it. For what it's worth, I think this is a very good time to buy. The model has been out since 2007 so enough time to work out design problems (hopefully) and with the recent, 2010, update the model is fresh. A new model won't be out until at least 2013 so I think this is the sweat spot. If you can find one with the options/colour you want great but if not ... With the tragic situation in Japan new orders may take longer than the 3 months I waited. Go for it. I'm glad I did.

Mike

Thanks for your input!

I purchased an 2011 LS460 SWB AWD and couldn't be happier with it. For what it's worth, I think this is a very good time to buy. The model has been out since 2007 so enough time to work out design problems (hopefully) and with the recent, 2010, update the model is fresh. A new model won't be out until at least 2013 so I think this is the sweat spot. If you can find one with the options/colour you want great but if not ... With the tragic situation in Japan new orders may take longer than the 3 months I waited. Go for it. I'm glad I did.

Mike

Thanks for the quick replies and input guys! We are really enjoying our GX460, the interior is very comfortable with the semi-aniline leather, and it's like a tank driving around downtown Chicago. Speaking of the semi-aniline leather...after talking to the dealers, I guess they don't really make the regular LS460 AWD with comfort plus package (which includes the semi-aniline leather seats), and I guess they only come in the long wheel base versions. Does the semi-aniline leather really make a big different int he softness and the feel of the leather? Is it very noticeable when compared to normal leather in a LS460?

Thanks again!

I know this is an old thread, but sense there was a current post I thought I would answer this previous question.

Semi aniline leather describes a process of dyeing leather, not the quality or suppleness of the leather. The aniline dyeing method uses a translucent dye that allows the natural lines and grains of the hide to show through without leaving a coating on the surface of the leather. If memory serves me, all Lexus models use semi aniline leather. The LS460 may use a higher quality of leather hide that is softer or more supple, I don't know.

Paul

• 2 months later...

The LS is on a 6 year cycle. So it was introduced in 2007, had a refresh for 2010...unchanged for 2011, should be unchanged for 2012, and all new for 2013.

So if you buy a 2011 now you should be okay until fall of 2012 when the 2013 comes out.

Thing to remember is there will always be something new out...if you like the LS...get it...there will always be something new on the horizon to wait for.

Interesting speculation on the new generation LS relative to design as well as schedule on this posting (courtesy of Lexus Enthusiast site)

My link

• 4 weeks later...

As mentioned, lexus LS is on a 6 year cycle. As a rule of thumb, it's best to buy the car after it's 1st major refresh, since that is when they fix/improve the model significantly. I never buy the first year a car comes out. All my LS sedans were purchased right after their major refresh and I never had any major problems, bugs, etc. As for the current LS (LS460), the mid cycle refresh was done in 2010. So the 2010 model year or newer are after the mid cycle refresh, so that's what I recommend you buy.

I don't know if it is the same but in the UK the LS460 is no longer available new and hasn't been for some years. Lexus are moving towards a full hybrid line up so the only LS model on offer in the UK now is the LS600H.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Lexus. Just like a Macbook Pro, you get it when you need it. No waiting. An earlier post does mention that Lexus is on 6 years cycle (as confirmed by Wikipedia page). I tend to find that you get the biggest bang for the buck with the best refinement when you buy a car that is towards the end of 6 years cycle. Simply because, at the beginning of each cycle, they may still need to work out some kinks (not to say that Lexus is not perfect, but any new design can have drawbacks and lessons to be learned). Thus, by buying car in later iteration, you get the refined experience. Just my 2c