Is300 Key Fob Problem?

Bahadur

I recently purchased a 2002 IS300. My wife and I both love the car! However, it came with only 1 master key, so we had a duplicate master key and a valet key made at a dealership. All was well... until yesterday.

For some reason, the older master key fob stopped working remotely. I could not open doors and trunk or close doors with the buttons. At first, I thought it was a battery issue. But I noticed that the red light still works when I press the buttons. Then I tried the new master key -- presumably with a fresh battery -- and it would not work remotely either!

For the life of me I cannot figure out what I did wrong! At one moment the fob was working, and the next moment it just stopped working. I was carrying groceries so I tried to work the key still in my pocket (pressed next to my mobile phone) while slamming the trunk shut. After that, the car just would not respond to either fobs!

Obviously, I am taking the car in for service, but has anyone had a similar experience or does anyone have any idea what I could have done wrong?

• 8 months later...
I just purchased a 2001 IS 300 about a month ago.  I am having a similar problem with my Key. I only have one master.  My question is what did the dealer charge you for a Valet and a second key?

Thank you

THE VALET KEY IS ABOUT $65.00

THE MASTER KEY IS ABOUT $$$250.00

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem a couple of months ago. If the problem with the keyfobs only occured for a period of two days, it should be fine. When I went into Lexus to ask about the problem, they said it was due to the irregular weather conditions (ie clouds rolling in or so). Next day, the keyfobs were working like usual.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes electronic emissions disturbe the keyfob while sending (jamming).

Somtimes the car have to learn the key again.

Here is the procedure to do this:

you could try to reprogram the remote. The procedure is as follows:

1). With driver's door open put programmed key into ignition, do not turn, then remove it.

2). Within 40 seconds:

Press LOCK and then UNLOCK on driver's door switch 5 times at 1 second intervals.

Close and open driver's door.

3). Within 40 seconds:

Press LOCK and then UNLOCK on driver's door switch 5 times at 1 second intervals.

Insert key into ignition and switch ON and OFF:

once to keep original remotes,

twice to erase original remotes.

Remove key from ignition.

System will now lock and unlock:

once if originals kept,

twice if originals erased.

4). Within 40 seconds:

Press LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on remote simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.

Within 3 seconds press any button on remote for 1 second.

Locks should then lock and unlock once.

If locks lock and unlock twice restart procedure.

5). Within 40 seconds:

Repeat step 4 for additional remotes up to a maximum of 4.

To exit programming insert key into ignition or close driver's door.

Will be funny. But perhaps it works.

Cheers,

Andi from Germany ;)

• 16 years later...

I tried this very odd method (sort of felt like one of those guaranteed raygun hacks in black ops 2 lol)

However, I think it actually worked!! My keyfob worked for the first time in a couple of days so I’m excited to see if it will continue working in the future.

Thanks for now!

• 2 years later...