Fuel Filter

chubyball

On the sc300 there's two fuel filters. There's one in the tank, and one that is inline with the fuel lines. The Lexus/Toyota fuel filter costs about $40-50 and quite a bit of gas (the gas that leaks on ones fingers that gets frozen from the evaporating gas). 15k miles seems too short don't you think? I'm thinking 60k or even more.

you have to replace it every 30k as the manusl for the 95 ls said, its really hard to replace it. you have to lift the car and then i was soakin in the fuel for 15 b4 i was able to get it out and put the new one back on. it is located between the body and rear differential.

nope, access to it only when the car is liften. with your backseat removed you can only access fuel pump. fuel fulter is external and located OUTSIDE the car. it is atteched to the bottom of the car with 2 nuts.

As UCF3 mentioned it would help to change the filter with an empty tank. I did mine on the SC a few months ago and it was HORRIBLE. I did it in the driveway without lifting the vehicle but if I do it again I'll use a lift. The filter is just in front of the rear wheel on the driver's side and it's held in place with two bolts. The hard lines going into each end of the filter are flared and it took me ages to disconnect them ... all the while gas was running down my arms!! :wacko:

Emptying the tank won't help much and is bad for your car.

Even if you get the tank empty, there'll still be fuel in the lines.

If you try to purge it compltetely dry, you'll be messing up your motor.

Do what I mentioned before. Pinch the lines on both sides with needle-nose clamps.

Kinda like a beer bong.

:D

It's bad to empty the tank, beside your fuel pump always has some left fuel in it and preps the next cycle. The best way to do is when replacing the filter, you want to remove the line that connects to the Out flow side of the filter first, then continue to remove the other side of the filter. In this way the gas won't plash all over you. Keep in mind, The Out flow side has lower presure than the Input flow.

• 8 months later...
Has anyone here ever replaced the fuel filter. The Dealership told me that it's maintaince free. Is it true?

Hello: Yes, I have replaced and wet myself down. The way to do it is to disconnect the fuel pump power and run the car until it stops. thereby draining some of the fuel from the filter and the lines. Then loosten the nuts from the filter with a drain pan under it and walk away and admire your vehicle, look up at the trees, while the excess drains. It will stop since the fuel has to travel up out of the tank before going down to the filter. Since it is a delicate and little understood thing tightening steel lines correctly, most mechanics ruin or cross-thread the process of connecting a new filter. You must connect till hand-tight by hand the nuts and then tighten to my thinking maybe 15 to 20 ft.-lbs, start up the car and get under to see if there are no leaks. If there is still some weeping, snug it up a little tighter. Critical to success is aligning the steel lines with the axis of the filter so the threads are not miss-aligned during the initial hand-tightening. My wife has a rav-4, dearly loves it, but when I reaplaced the filter on it for the first time, it was so tight I had to destroy it and a line to get it off. I replace every thirty to sixty K depending on my mood. Sincerely, LarryBenz