Buying A Lexus

I am thinking of buying a Lexus. My choices are either a 2007 GS 350 AWD or a 2005 LS430.

The AWD is because where I live in Canada we get a a lot of snow.

How is the rear leg room in the GS 350? Can an adult sit comfortably in the back seat if the front seat also has a tall adult?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

thank you

I am thinking of buying a Lexus. My choices are either a 2007 GS 350 AWD or a 2005 LS430.

The AWD is because where I live in Canada we get a a lot of snow.

How is the rear leg room in the GS 350? Can an adult sit comfortably in the back seat if the front seat also has a tall adult?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

thank you

Two totally different cars. The LS is a true luxury sedan with a smooth, quiet ride, and loaded with features and gadgets. The GS is a terrific sports car with, IMO, the handling and horsepower to please. Also, The LS is rear wheel drive so I wouldn't recommend it for snow.

Thank you Paul. How is the leg room in the back in a GS350? Can an adult fit in there comfortably?

I can't honestly say because I've never sat in the back. The LS is generous when it comes to leg room as you probaly already know.

Someone will chime in here eventually and fill in with more information.

I actually own a GS430 but that is back in England. And as you say I also have never sat in the back of my own car so do not know how comfortable it would feel. Maybe I should go and look for one here in Canada and sit in the back. The GS430 is very quick and I love it and it is very sporty too but never drove the AWD so do not know how it will be.

I also owned a LS400 which was a beauty and very comfortable and again never sat in the back. I should have tried the back before I sold the LS400.

Why I am concerned about the back seat is now my children have grown up and if they have to sit in the back, they may be uncomfortable. My son has a SAAB 9-3 and I know it is very uncomfortable to sit in the back.

I actually own a GS430 but that is back in England. And as you say I also have never sat in the back of my own car so do not know how comfortable it would feel. Maybe I should go and look for one here in Canada and sit in the back. The GS430 is very quick and I love it and it is very sporty too but never drove the AWD so do not know how it will be.

I also owned a LS400 which was a beauty and very comfortable and again never sat in the back. I should have tried the back before I sold the LS400.

Why I am concerned about the back seat is now my children have grown up and if they have to sit in the back, they may be uncomfortable. My son has a SAAB 9-3 and I know it is very uncomfortable to sit in the back.

I have to confess that I am partial to the "comfortable" side of the Lexus line, and If your like me, my adult children enjoy the leg room and cabin space of our 2010 ES sedan. While certainly not as roomy in back as the LS, the ES sedan offers a smooth, quiet, and comfy experience. The AWD would be a real temptation given the winter weather where you live. We get our share of snow and ice but not like you in the great north. Is the GS AWD a full-time AWD or a selective all wheel drive?

As far as I know only the GS300 and the 350 have AWD options. The GS430 is only rear wheel drive. The AWD is normally 70/30 to the rear wheel and when required slips automatically to 50/50.

I know this is not very satisfactory as by the time it slips to 50/50, the sliding has already started.

I would prefer a full time AWD or a selective 4 wheel drive here in Canada.

Maybe I am now more inclining towards the LS430 and trying to find out if the LS430 of 2004 is the latest upgrade before the LS460.

Normally on a snow day I would use the Ford Expedition but if I need to go a long distance the gas on that truck it is horrible as it has got a V8 5.4 litres so was looking for another vehicle as gas in Canada is a lot more expensive than in the US.

I just wanted to chime in on your question about the leg room in a GS350.... if you place an adult in the back seat they will not be comfortable I have a 2006 gs 300 (no different than 07 except the year same bells and whistles as a 07)an adult knees will be hitting the back of your chair if your like me and have to have the chair all the way back... they might be ok on the passenger side if your passenger scoots the chair up

Thanks a lot wwidwest. I think then I will go for a LS430 in that case. Do you know if the 2004 model of LS430 is the latest version before the LS460 or is there one in between?

There is an AWD model of the LS, try looking for one of those. The rear seat room in the GS is not bad if the front seats are moved up some. I will not go back to a FWD or RWD car ever again given the New England winters. However, there was a time when 99% of all cars were RWD and did ok in the snow when shod with good snow tires on all four corners.

steviej

stevie, is that the latest version of the LS series with the AWD?

I have a friend who drives a BMW 7 series with winter tires here in New Brunswick, Canada and as you say a lot of rear wheel drive cars still out on the road but personally I prefer a front wheel driven car in winter if I cannot have AWD.

If it really gets that bad, I always take out the Ford 4x4.

stevie, is that the latest version of the LS series with the AWD?

I have a friend who drives a BMW 7 series with winter tires here in New Brunswick, Canada and as you say a lot of rear wheel drive cars still out on the road but personally I prefer a front wheel driven car in winter if I cannot have AWD.

If it really gets that bad, I always take out the Ford 4x4.

yeah, as I look into it, the only AWD LS is the 2010+ LS 460L. Sweet looking ride but $$$.

steviej