Urgent Help _Really_ Bad Noise From Engine - Video

mikec1964

Does anyone know what this is ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeFnCfDudQs

It started as little rattle then developed into horrendous noise oil light came on and the expansion bottle spewed the coolant back out.

Seems to be coming from inside the block

Should I try to pull it apart or just drop another engine in - Is this doable (with engine crane hire) by a DIY mechanic?

Is it true the Toyota Camry engine exactly the same (it looks it from what I have seen) - Except ?

Thanks

:cries:

mikec1964,

There is definitely something amiss inside that engine, and it sounds like a lot of dollars to fix. Then to have the oil pressure light come on is bad enough, but to then have the engine overheat and spew coolant does a triple bad news event on your day.

You need to talk to a knowledgeable toyota/lexus mechanic who can tell you what has gone south, and then give you options as to fixing the problem. Yes, a Camry motor may swap, but check carefully to see if you will need to change the engine wire harness and engine control module.

Here across the pond we have access to JDM (Japanese Domestic Market)used engines. In Japan every car goes to the junk yard when they hit 3 years old. They pull engines and trannys, etc. and ship them all over the world for the used market. In major cities across North America you can either pick up, have shipped to your location, or even have one put into your car while you wait. It worth considering, because the engines are low mileage and complete with a warranty. I suspect that you'll be able to do the same in Aus.

Don't drive it for sure, have it checked out, and then after getting an idea of what its going to cost, you'll have to check out your bank account and your options. Good Luck.

Does anyone know what this is ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeFnCfDudQs

It started as little rattle then developed into horrendous noise oil light came on and the expansion bottle spewed the coolant back out.

Seems to be coming from inside the block

Should I try to pull it apart or just drop another engine in - Is this doable (with engine crane hire) by a DIY mechanic?

Is it true the Toyota Camry engine exactly the same (it looks it from what I have seen) - Except ?

Thanks

where in OZ are you, sounds like terminal damage there, best take it straight to your local mechanic but i would get it towed, i think if you drive it then its going to go bang in a big way, secondhand jap motor seems like your best bet.

fergi

I am in Sydney (north West Sydney to be exact)

The problem is the car is only worth 2.5K so I need to try a few things myself - Because pretty much everyone is going to say

"Yeah Mate needs a new motor - $1800-$2500 bucks fitted" !!!!

And the car just inst worth that much

It sounds like "rod knock" - ie the bottom end But that sounds like the whole motor needs to come out and once you've done that you are up for 10-20 hours labour (and no one in Sydney seems to work for less that $90 per hour!!!) then the cost of a used egine - say $800 - Youch !!!!

I am looking for things I can try myself before I make a call on "scrap value" or "repair"

Cheers

Mike

The problem is the car is only worth 2.5K so I need to try a few things myself - Because pretty much everyone is going to say

It sounds like "rod knock" - ie the bottom end But that sounds like the whole motor needs to come out and once you've done that you are up for 10-20 hours labour (and no one in Sydney seems to work for less that $90 per hour!!!) then the cost of a used egine - say $800 - Youch !!!!

I am looking for things I can try myself before I make a call on "scrap value" or "repair"

Cheers

Mike

hi mike, really sounds like a bearing has let go, i think you are correct as it sounds like a big end bearing, either way you have to pull the motor and to be honest for the cost of a jap used motor which are generally pretty low milage and fitting i think its a lot better option than messing around with a conrod bearing, the bearing sounds bad enough that it has probably damaged the crankshaft so it would need to have the crankshaft pulled out and then regrind the journal,this would cost you a fair bit so i reckon all up the used jap motor would be a better option, reliability wise and cost wise,. how long have you had the car, i have had mine for about 6 months, one owner but in fantastic condition, they drive superb dont they.

cheers

fergi

Cheers

Mike

hi mike, really sounds like a bearing has let go, i think you are correct as it sounds like a big end bearing, either way you have to pull the motor and to be honest for the cost of a jap used motor which are generally pretty low milage and fitting i think its a lot better option than messing around with a conrod bearing, the bearing sounds bad enough that it has probably damaged the crankshaft so it would need to have the crankshaft pulled out and then regrind the journal,this would cost you a fair bit so i reckon all up the used jap motor would be a better option, reliability wise and cost wise,. how long have you had the car, i have had mine for about 6 months, one owner but in fantastic condition, they drive superb dont they.

cheers

fergi

Bearing gone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unZMQ0SP610

Bearing has disappeared !! (almost) and there is 5-10mm pf play in the con rod where it connects to the crankshaft.

There is soft sludgy metal in the bottom of the sump (I assume the disintegrated bronze or other soft metal bearing shell) but there are not chunks or solid metal pieces

I know best practice would probably be a crank shaft regrind etc - But the engine has 300,000Km on it so I was thinking of using a very fine wet n dry paper to clean what I can off the crankshaft and put new bearing shells on it and clean up and hope for the best .. I know it might not be the smoothest engine after this but at least it will run and as I said before the car isn't worth more than 2-3K

Bear in mind this engine has done 300,000KM (200,000 miles plus) so I really don't want to go to the effort of pulling it out - If I get anothe 20,000 out of it I'll be happy.

There seems to be a reference in the manual to some sort of over sizing on the bearing - It says mark 1 mark 2 and mark 3 - What does this refer to - There is a number 2 stamped on the con rod cap .?

hi mike, looks like a major meltdown there, i would imagine the mark numbers refer to could be for the crankshaft regrinds, 1,2,3, would probably mean there are 3 oversize bearings that you can get ,thats 3 cranshaft regrinds ,i doubt using fine emery paper would take enough off the crankshaft to worry about putting in an oversize bearing, certainly pull the rod cap off and inspect the crankshaft for grooves, you may be lucky enough to not have any damage but i doubt it, the number 2 you refer to could be no two piston, you can see if its number 2 by looking at where the piston ,conrod is on the crankshaft, i am not saying for sure thats what all the numbers mean but sounds like it to me, dont know if you can buy just one bearing you may have to buy a set, then you might as well put a new bearing in each one, if you do dont get the bearing caps mixed up do one at a time, also make sure the bearing cap goes back on the same way it came off, mark the cap so you know .hope you get it going.

cheers fergi