Lx470 Wanted: 1998-1999

Rob LX470

Hi All,

I enjoyed reading the forum while researching my purchase of a pre-owned LX470. Since LX470s can be hard to find, it occurred to me to ask the experts here on this forum. I didn't find any old posts on the subject, so I thought I would make a new post.

What are the best places to find 1998-1999 LX470s (web sites, national publications, etc.)?

If anyone is selling and wants to contact me, my email is

contactnow (at) aussiemail.com.au

Of course that email address is all one word and uses the @ symbol (I'm just trying to keep my email account safe from spam robots.)

Any help is much appreciated!

--Rob

Thanks for the information.

I saw that carsearchusa had a lot of Toyota and Lexus products. A few days ago I sent them email requesting additional information, but I have not heard back from them.

Do you know of anyone who has done business with them? Are they a good company?

I haven't worked with them personally, but I've been told that they're a bit shady. Can't provide any proof tho.

Have you checked www.carmax.com yet? They'll ship to you (for a fee) and their cars come with a warranty. You might find one close to you.

Doug

I ended up finding my 2000 on Autotrader. Actually it was a broker called American Leasing and Sales. They do a lot of dealer transfers on Lexus. I called on a truck and it was gone. Kyle took my information and called me when a truck came up with my requirements. I did the whole thing over the internet & phone. They sent a lot of pictures and I had a local AAA mechanic (see the website) do a pre-sale inspection (American leasing took the truck there for me). I could have driven to KS (the truck came from a Florida dealer) to see it (from Milwaukee) but checked references and all was well. I will get my next one from them. I did the financing through capital one in 15 min. The whole experience was nice. The truck looks like new, I was amazed. I also watched ebay and almost picked up a truck there from a dealer (go with dealers that move a lot of vehicles). On ebay you tell the world if you had bad or good service. W/a local dealer you can only tell your friends...

Good Luck!

Thanks for the information.

Jarcara... I did an internet search for American Leasing and Sales and could not find anything. Do you have contact information for them? Your purchase was interesting. I would consider doing the same thing for the right vehicle.

I'm going to try to get down to see carsearchusa.com in person soon. I've been checking autotrader.com and cars.com. So far they seem pretty good. From the looks of it, Los Angeles appears to have the best price on LX470s. Too bad I'm not in California...

I made it down to carsearchusa.com. It appears to be a "one outlet" dealer in an aging commercial sprawl area of Fort Lauderdale. The building may have been an old gas station or stand alone store. I met a man who identified himself as the owner. He said he buys cars in lots of 10 from dealerships. He keeps the best ones to detail/refurbish out of his store. He sells the others to export.

The cars there did seem exceptionally well detailed. Many had new tires and floor mat. It appeared that paint defects where nicely painted over. Overall the cars "showed" well.

I was surprised to find that both the LX470s I went to go see were gone. They were featured in active ads on AutoTrader.com. It was difficult for me to understand why both were gone. Disappointed, I left my name and number. The owner was happy to know what I was looking for and what my price range was. Perhaps I will hear from him when he gets something in.

To date I can't say I'm realy happy with my car search. I've been at it for a few weeks. Here's a sampling of what I've seen:

> My best bet was a low mileage LX470 about a hundred miles from my house. It was "one owner", all original and well maintained. The seller even had me speak with his service manager at Lexus. The day I was supposed to buy he pulled it off the market.

> My next best bet was an average mileage LX470 located near my home. It too was purported to be "one owner", super clean with average miles. I stretched to meet their price and we made a deal based on the seller's claim that it was exceptionally clean, straight and well maintained. I took the vehicle to my mechanic only to discover it had been repainted in places that indicated possible rear end and front right impact. The front and rear bumpers weren't true. The Lexus markings were missing from the back. The front CV boots were leaking, the front axels were worn, the dash ratteled excessively, the catalytic converter appeared to be rotting from the inside out and the Lexus-done chrome dipped wheels were delaminating.

Funny thing was I absolutely believed the person selling the car. They appeared straight and honest. I just couldn't justify paying a good price because the vehicle's story didn't match up with what the owner said. I'm not saying they lied, but what they said can't be confirmed with the actual condiditon of the vehicle.

> A 1998 Land Cruiser with 50,000 miles on it. It was said to be super clean. However, the interior had seen hard use that even the dealer's detailer couldn't hide. Many metal parts on the engine were heavily oxidized, which I did not understand. Even the salt air here in Florida would be hard pressed to oxidize metal that bad. My current car is much older and it looks a lot better!

> Another Land Cruiser that was said to be perfect. In reality, it was overly detailed. It appeared to have bumpers, hitch and grill gaurds that were painted, desite the owner's claim that it was all original. I was also suspicious of the overall paint job, which seemed a little uneven to be from the factory.

I suppose these could be good cars and that I'm just too picky. I want to take sellers at their word. However, I'm surprised when I show up and find a different story than what I heard on the phone. I don't lie to people about cars I sell. When I sell, the cars are seriously for sale and I will negotiate a fair price for their mileage and condidtion. I don't demand unfair prices or mislead buyers. I guess I expect the same from the sellers I deal with.

Well they are used cars afterall. The search continues. I think I'll focus in on private party sellers offering vehicles with original paint. At least that way I can more accurately judge condition. I'll give it time. If nothing good happens over the next several weeks, Toyota's new V8 4Runner looks mighty fine... and about the same money.

I purchased my 1998 LX (44k mi) through a Lexus dealer, but with AAA rate, so I got it for mid-way between wholesale and mid-blue (30.7k) with CPO warranty. I wouldn't buy one without CPO, as the LXs have well documented issues with the steering column grinding, exhaust manifold, etc. These are all covered by warranty -- and would cost your 5k otherwise.

Thanks Urban. I've been thinking a lot about what you said in your post. I looked at an LX470 last week that had just had its steering column motor replaced ($1500).

I've read about the manifolds and the catayltic converter shield on this form. Are there any other "know problems" on the LX470 I should know about before I buy?

Also, I checked AAA to see their used car program. The only cars they offer in my area are from Hertz (I've never seen Lexus products at Hertz locations.) Am I not looking in the right place?

Thanks Urban. I've been thinking a lot about what you said in your post. I looked at an LX470 last week that had just had its steering column motor replaced ($1500).

I've read about the manifolds and the catayltic converter shield on this form. Are there any other "know problems" on the LX470 I should know about before I buy?

Also, I checked AAA to see their used car program. The only cars they offer in my area are from Hertz (I've never seen Lexus products at Hertz locations.) Am I not looking in the right place?

In addition to these two, I also had all the rotors done and got them to cover it because they should have been replaced upon the initial CPO inspection. I've seen on this and other boards that the rotors wear down very quickly (i guess it also depends on how you drive) so I would make sure that they aren't warped or glazed.

Fortunately, in the LA area there are a lot of Lexus dealers to choose from that have the AAA rate and saves a ton of $$$.

_urban

Rob,

Take your time, if you're not in a hurry. You will find your LX. After we bought my wife's LX ('98), I fell in love with it. When I needed another vehicle a couple years later, I bought a used Land Cruiser. The LC ('99) is nice, but it's not as nice as our LX. I rushed the deal, hearing all the claims from the seller about how clean it was. Short story is I never saw the truck (I let my wife take a look) before I bought it. When I got it home and actually inspected it, there were quit a few things that would have kept me from buying it. Interior was shot and I found an area that had some body work. So learn from my mistake, take your time. It will pay dividends!

Thanks... I will take my time. I had my mechanic inspect a nice Land Cruiser today. I made an above-Blue-Book offer only to find the seller was not serious. He wanted several thousand above high book. Again, I wish people wouldn't advertise their cars if they are not serious sellers.

I'm in it for the long haul and will wait for the right vehicle at the right price.

Thanks to all for the replies.