Lexus Noob

JNeil77

As stated in the description, my '96 LS 400 has a few issues. First I have to state that I absolutely love this car! I never new what the big deal was about Lexus - my uncle will drive nothing but - now I know. It is powerful - even though it's got 160k on its second engine. I could wax poetic all day I'm sure but I need a little help.

My biggest issue is a noise that started since we went into the deep freeze here in Minny. At first it sounded like it was coming from the front of the engine, now it sounds like it's under the dog house and I can feel it in the shift lever. It sounds like grinding, more like rusty parts moving against each other. It's intermittent. I have checked the fluid levels in the tranny and it's ok. The color is good and there is no burnt smell. I did a little research and one place said it was the fan clutch, another said the water pump and still another said that it might be the torque converter.

Next issue has to do with a drain on the battery. Can't for the life of me figure out why it's happening. It has an after market stereo installed, there was something said about the factory alarm being removed (?) and the trunk release was disconnected from the lever and a wire is used to pop it. Which doesn't work btw and the latch is stuck in the closed position. Any ideas on what could be causing the drain and how to pop the latch so I can close my trunk?

Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

J Neezy

even though it's got 160k on its second engine.

That is an interesting remark! From most posts I get the feeling that these engines will last forever, but obviously not so.

I hope it is not too much off track of your subject, but could you elucidate a bit on what went wrong with the first engine?

Thanks.

Jac

even though it's got 160k on its second engine.

That is an interesting remark! From most posts I get the feeling that these engines will last forever, but obviously not so.

I hope it is not too much off track of your subject, but could you elucidate a bit on what went wrong with the first engine?

Thanks.

Jac

That's how I bought it. The previous owner just told me he and a friend of his put a newer engine in it at 100k. The ODO reads 264k. I think it may have been in an accident and that is the reason for the replacement.

• 3 weeks later...

!!UPDATE!!

Figured out the trunk issue. Still leaves the slow drain and the engine compartment noise. Strange thing I noticed is a faint whirring noise that seems to come from the instrument cluster. Gauges and everything work fine. The whirring noise also coincides with the mechanical noise I mentioned in my previous posts, which are a combination of thumping and screeching. I tried to record it while it was happening but meh. Once it's a little warmer I'll grab my video camera and do a quick little vid.