Rx330 2Wd Transmission Cooling Lines

RX330_2004

Can someone tell me which hose is the inlet hose to the transmission? I'm planning on doing the flush by disconnecting the outlet hose from the transmission cooler (which would be the inlet hose to the transmission). I have the U151E transmission. I've searched what I think is every post but they all assume you know which line is which, and I don't know which is which.

Thank you.

2004 RX330

47K miles

To do a flush with most machines, it will not matter which line you connect IIRC. I did one on mine at 90K and I do not think it matters as the flow will not be disrupted either way. Usually, there will be a different fitting for each separate line ala A/C High side and Low side connects if there is a difference.

I don't remember which is which. I tested the output a while back when I changed fluid and added another cooler and cooling fan. I should have labelled them with arrows so I would know without having to take the passsenger side front fender liner out to follow how I routed trans output and cooled lines. Either way, I think you can take the hose off one at a time and have a friend crank the engine to see which side pumps out, and which is the return. You have a 50/50 chance of getting it right even if it's hard to follow the lines back.

If you find out, I'd like to know, too. Good luck.

Can someone tell me which hose is the inlet hose to the transmission? I'm planning on doing the flush by disconnecting the outlet hose from the transmission cooler (which would be the inlet hose to the transmission). I have the U151E transmission. I've searched what I think is every post but they all assume you know which line is which, and I don't know which is which.

Thank you.

2004 RX330

47K miles

So far I've mapped out how the flow should go, using illustrated parts breakdowns from a dealer's parts website. From this method, I'll confirm next week hopefully, the 2WD RX330 (2004) has fluid output from the upper fitting on the transmission and into the upper fitting on the radiator (where the cooler resides), with flow coming out of the bottom fitting and to the lower fitting on the transmission housing. There is no 2ndary cooler that I can find. (There is a funky tubing assembly between the hoses that go to the transmission housing and the hoses that go to the tranny cooler inside the radiator which I find odd.)

The reason I want to know is for when I do the flush myself (not using a machine). I've done this on the previous vehicle - a 1992 Previa - and hooked up a 3/8" id clean vinyl hose to the output from the cooler. After draining the tranny pan and replacing the filter, I overfilled the tranny, hooked up the clear hose and directed it into a 5 gallon bucket that I'd marked in 1 qt graduations on the side. I started the Previa and watched brownish fluid pump out and when it was the amount of the overfill, I stopped the engine. I overfilled again and repeated, with this time resulting in fluid the color of what I put in eventually coming through the hose. I can't recall but also think I cycled the tranny through the PRNDL and back.

(This was so much fun I did it to my Turbo 350. That tranny pumped fluid out about 2x faster than the Previa!)

Yeah, my '99 RX300 is a little different. It has the factory "tow package" cooler in the RF fender in addition to the radiator, which was typical of nearly all of the RX300's. The 330, although similar, has a different transmission. The first-gen 300 trannys need all the cooling help they can get, as well as frequent service. That's why I added another external cooler in line with the factory "tow" cooler in the fender. The procedure you said makes sense.

The RX330, at least my 2004 and I'd guess all the RX330s, have U151E (2WD) or U151F (4WD) unless I'm mistaken. The .pdf you posted is for the RX300 transaxle (U140 series) it looks like. Thank you for posting it anyway. It's very similar in theory to what I have in my 330 though.

I've removed the front and mid undercarriage covers to expose the trans cooler lines and tranny pan. The 10mm bolts on the passenger side towards the rear, about 2 of them near the rear corner there, will be a challenge to access/remove. It looks like I'll need to use a open/box end wrench on them while the others look like a socket wrench will do. Access on those few bolts is impaired by the sub-frame running along that side. I got the case of ATF Type T-IV from a dealership in Va the other day via UPS, purchased through eBay. The price came to $5.88/qt including shipping. Local dealer wanted $5.95/qt plus tax.