Idiot Light - What Is It For?

jbrubaker

Can someone please tell me what the light in the upper right by the fuel gauge is? Looks like a car with the back lights illuminated. I don't have an owner's manual yet, getting ready to leave for FL, need to know if it is something that needs my immediate attention.

1994 ES 300

Thanks.

Jim

Thanks guys. I have a service CD ordered, which includes the manual.

I checked all the lights on the rear, none are burnt out, but the dash light went back out. Must be a loose bulb or socket.

You know how it is, though. Hard to fix when it's working properly.

if the light only comes on when you hit the brake, it means a brake light bulb is out. if it comes on and stays on when you hit the headlinghts it means it is one of the tail lights. make sure and check carefully, because in that 94 there are like 3 lights on each side just for the tail light.

also, while you are back there check the license plate lights. they apparently don't set off the warning indicator. when i checked mine they were both out a few weeks back.

for me, the light came on and it's a brake light (big one on the top right)

<-92 es... and the light is on as soon as i turn on my car until i turn it off. that light never goes off (just like that darn check engine light). what i did to figure out which light is turn my car on, and pile a bunch of textbooks onto the brake, found out which light it was (i was alone so i had no choice..if you can, get a friend to tell you ;) )

WELL, HERE IS THE SKINNY ON THE 94 ES300 and the rear light indicator warning light.

Found one reverse light out and one brake light out. There are three bulbs each side that illuminate when you apply the brakes.

The indicator light (I like that term better than idiot light) stays off when the car is started until the first time the brakes are applied (putting the car in gear) and then the light stays on.

Once I figure how to get the panel off in the trunk without breaking it (It was not well lit and pretty chilly this evening), I will get the bulbs replaced.

Thanks to all for thir input. Hopefully this will help someone else as well.

replaced the bulbs that were burnt, no sweat. Developed another problem, though.

I used the key to unlock the trunk instead of the trunk release.

Now the trunk release in the drivers door does not work. I did check the wiring.

My key is a master without remote, but I wouldn't see where that should make a difference, but who knows.

and on that same subject, the trunk release in the glove box does not work either, but it didn't work previously.

Any ideas out there?

The button in the glove box isn;t the trunk release it is the door trunk release lock out. Meaning when pressed it stops the trunk button on the door from opening the trunk.

Try pressing it a few time to make sure you didn;t turn it off.

Does the gas tank still pop?

I would say the wiring is a problem in the trunk . You may have moved or damaged the harness in there.