Possible Camshaft Sensor Problem

jtbel

Hello, the car was starting and running fine, until the check engine light came on while driving. it started to run rough and made a pinging sound upon acceleration. It was turned off, then when turned back on, it made sort of a clunk sound on start up. Took it to read the code, and they said it was the camshaft sensor bank 1. I forgot to get the exact code number. Anyway, I found a cam sensor testing procedure that I think applies to my car. It says: Resistance (Cold): 835 - 1,400 ohms. Both right and left tested around 1,040. I tested the connectors that were coming out of the 2 black covers on the front of the engine (bottom half of the covers). Afterward, I go to start the car, and again it makes a clunking noise upon start up, but now it shuts off after a few seconds. I'm not exactly sure if I correctly tested the cam sensors, or if I had the right sensor connections. I don't have a repair manual. Does this sound like it is one of the camshaft sensors? Thanks for any help.

Your reading suggest the sensors are fine as a component. You're primarily looking for shorts and opens with a resistance test of a coil anyway. Maybe they are misaligned or the connector is dirty.

Fill up with some fresh gas too.

Thanks for your response. It is a daily driver, so it should have good gas in it. I will try to clean up a few electrical connections, and make sure they are making good contact. I can use some more suggestions as to what may cause this problem. Thanks

How do you test the coils?