Ac Compressor Replacement

btindel

My 2000 RX300 which I purchased new now has 90,000 miles on it. The AC compressor is getting a bit noisy, so much that my wife notices it frequently. Being a typical aging male with deteriorating hearing, I rarely hear it. I'm planning to replace it before it grenades with a new OEM Denso compressor (amazingly only $202 delivered!). I've replaced a couple of AC compressors before (Porsche 911 and Acura Legend) with no problems, but just wanted to ask if there are any gotchas on the Lexus, or any special tricks or tips to doing this job. I have the shop manual, and it is quite thorough. Any help will be appreciated.

Btindel,

It is a fairly straight forward job. Though having a rack to life t the vehicle can make things easier. If not, use large jack stands as you will have to work from both the top and the bottom. You can use extensions placed through the left side of the grill area to use the alternator adjustment bolt to loosen the alternator etc. It can be a bit tricky to get at the bracket bolts of the compressor, and the lines, but nothing that a little hard headedness won't solve. If you take out the alternator it makes it easier to get at, but the compressor comes out of the bottom IIRC.

Use racheting wrenches once you loosen the bracket bolts if you can as you will not have much clearance on a few of them.

Hope this helps.

My 2000 RX300 which I purchased new now has 90,000 miles on it. The AC compressor is getting a bit noisy, so much that my wife notices it frequently. Being a typical aging male with deteriorating hearing, I rarely hear it. I'm planning to replace it before it grenades with a new OEM Denso compressor (amazingly only $202 delivered!). I've replaced a couple of AC compressors before (Porsche 911 and Acura Legend) with no problems, but just wanted to ask if there are any gotchas on the Lexus, or any special tricks or tips to doing this job. I have the shop manual, and it is quite thorough. Any help will be appreciated.

Somehow something just isn't right there ^^^^^^! This compressor isn't being delivered late at night by a guy named Vinnie who looks around to see if anybody is watching is it??? Could you share the source with us? Most of the time when something doesn't seem right, it's because it isn't. (got this new 2011 RX that I'll sell for $15,000. just because I'm in a bind and need the money. By the way, I need it in small bills to pay off all of my creditors, and Oh, another thing, they said the title would be here in about 3 mo., the DMV is kinda backed up).

Somehow something just isn't right there ^^^^^^! This compressor isn't being delivered late at night by a guy named Vinnie who looks around to see if anybody is watching is it??? Could you share the source with us? Most of the time when something doesn't seem right, it's because it isn't. (got this new 2011 RX that I'll sell for $15,000. just because I'm in a bind and need the money. By the way, I need it in small bills to pay off all of my creditors, and Oh, another thing, they said the title would be here in about 3 mo., the DMV is kinda backed up).

There are actually CHEAPER ones on ebay.

There are actually CHEAPER ones on ebay.

I think I bought my replacement for my RX300 fro around 185 IIRC from a buddy who owns a shop and got me a wholesale cost, so that seems about right.

Of course there are brands that cost more, but even a cheap brand will give you 50K out of it easily.

As for the OP's question, I think he will be fine as long as he gets the mounting bolts off as one or two of them are tough to get a ratchet on.