Bad Smell In Cabin- Post Replacement Of Battery And A/c Sensor Replace

Hi others, Just had a replacemnt of a new battery and a oxygen sensor done.. By the time I got home I could smell a fairly acrid smell coming into the cabin via the vebts.. Burned the eyes. Today used the RX 330 for the first time since the pick up of it on Friday and the smell is pretty obvious.Am afraid it is toxic.. Any ideas what this could be or where it may be coming from.. Noted on a posting back on Pg 9 a suggestion that the battery tray may not have been cleaned prior to the install. Could that be the source?Or do any of you more experienced owners have other ideas on what needs to be troubleshooted? Thankyou for a response asap.

If you had the O2 sensors replaced by someone else, they could have failed to properly to the job and possibly caused another exhaust leak. If they failed to actually reinstall the o2 SENSOR, you would likely have a check engine light on so i don't think that is the issue. Odors could be caused for a variety of causes, but if it is pungent and smells like exhaust or gas, I would certainly check what they did. The Rx330 have been known to have an exhaust gasket leak but you would normally hear a leak that would cause that much odor.

Check the battery area and see if they left excess battery acid from the last battery. Clean if necessary.

If you had the O2 sensors replaced by someone else, they could have failed to properly to the job and possibly caused another exhaust leak. If they failed to actually reinstall the o2 SENSOR, you would likely have a check engine light on so i don't think that is the issue. Odors could be caused for a variety of causes, but if it is pungent and smells like exhaust or gas, I would certainly check what they did. The Rx330 have been known to have an exhaust gasket leak but you would normally hear a leak that would cause that much odor.

Check the battery area and see if they left excess battery acid from the last battery. Clean if necessary.

I had the servicing done by a Toyota mechanic,apparently the only one there that works on the few Lexus's in town. Would have thought he knew what he was doing.. I just drove it a couple of blocks again to try and better identify the smell nuances and I would have to say it almost smells more like burning rubber then gas..

The VSC light that was on prior to this servicing isnt showing up anymore so I assume that they DID attempt to replace the A/F sensor. Maybe as u say Could have been done improperly .. I will take it back up in the morning...

What would excess battery acid smell like if that is the issue? It definately has a acrid smell,and I noted that it somewhat burned the eyes too...Does that sound more plausible then to be excess battery acid? I forgot to mention that the rear differential fluid along with the transfer case fluid were also replaced at this time.. Dont know if that could be at all related to the smell as I am totally ignorant of the mechanical workings of a vehicle.. Am Female so I have to be educated on these matters... Hate to say it but maybe the mechanic does too. Thanks for any and all tips that may help me understand possible sources of the smell. Sure is appreciated..

By the way do you know if a dealer who has performed these services listed above is obligated to report ""ALL of the services they've done on your car"" back to Lexus...I see lexus tracks them on-line so they can remind you of what needs to be done in the future but I am confused now as to why the a/f sensor replacement and the battery replacement werent mentioned on my Lexus maintence service on-line record (just checked it)BUT the rear differential and transfer case fluid replacements were... Any thoughts or help u can give me based on your own experience as to what all gets reported back to Lexus after a servicing is done.? It just seemed weird to me that half of the things they purported to do werent itemized on the Lexus Maintenence site though the Dealer gave me a invoice indicating they were done. How do they actually then know what you should be getting done in the future if ALL of the services done arent all posted.?

Confused to say the least..Would it have anything to do with the mechanic maybe using ""after market"" parts on the two jobs ie; battery and a/f sensor that the dealer then decides not to record them with Lexus?

I had the servicing done by a Toyota mechanic,apparently the only one there that works on the few Lexus's in town. Would have thought he knew what he was doing.. I just drove it a couple of blocks again to try and better identify the smell nuances and I would have to say it almost smells more like burning rubber then gas..

The VSC light that was on prior to this servicing isnt showing up anymore so I assume that they DID attempt to replace the A/F sensor. Maybe as u say Could have been done improperly .. I will take it back up in the morning...

What would excess battery acid smell like if that is the issue? It definately has a acrid smell,and I noted that it somewhat burned the eyes too...Does that sound more plausible then to be excess battery acid? I forgot to mention that the rear differential fluid along with the transfer case fluid were also replaced at this time.. Dont know if that could be at all related to the smell as I am totally ignorant of the mechanical workings of a vehicle.. Am Female so I have to be educated on these matters... Hate to say it but maybe the mechanic does too. Thanks for any and all tips that may help me understand possible sources of the smell. Sure is appreciated..

By the way do you know if a dealer who has performed these services listed above is obligated to report ""ALL of the services they've done on your car"" back to Lexus...I see lexus tracks them on-line so they can remind you of what needs to be done in the future but I am confused now as to why the a/f sensor replacement and the battery replacement werent mentioned on my Lexus maintence service on-line record (just checked it)BUT the rear differential and transfer case fluid replacements were... Any thoughts or help u can give me based on your own experience as to what all gets reported back to Lexus after a servicing is done.? It just seemed weird to me that half of the things they purported to do werent itemized on the Lexus Maintenence site though the Dealer gave me a invoice indicating they were done. How do they actually then know what you should be getting done in the future if ALL of the services done arent all posted.?

Confused to say the least..Would it have anything to do with the mechanic maybe using ""after market"" parts on the two jobs ie; battery and a/f sensor that the dealer then decides not to record them with Lexus?

I wouldn't think after market parts would make any difference. If he changed a bunch of fluids, there is a chance that he spilled a bit and it could have gotten on the exhaust and obviously burned a bit which could have caused the smells. I would think that he placed enough fluid back into the differential. Anytime I smell something I first think is it: oil burning, gas leaking, exhaust leaking, power steering or brake fluid leaking and burning, transmission fluid burning....if those check out, i look for things like belts that may have malfunctioned and burned due to friction (as if something locked up), or tires rubbing on something.

I would certainly look into the engine compartment and look to see if you can spot smoke coming from and area while the engine is hot / warmed up fully. If you see smoke, you may have found your issue location. There is also a chance you could have a slow but steady freon leak from your coil which could come through the vents, but you wold know soon as your a/c would stop working eventually.

If the smell persists and you don't have a check engine light on or a difference in vehicle performance, then go have it checked out. If the smell was not present before the service and then after wards, I would take it immediately to them and have them re check their work.

I wouldn't think after market parts would make any difference. If he changed a bunch of fluids, there is a chance that he spilled a bit and it could have gotten on the exhaust and obviously burned a bit which could have caused the smells. I would think that he placed enough fluid back into the differential. Anytime I smell something I first think is it: oil burning, gas leaking, exhaust leaking, power steering or brake fluid leaking and burning, transmission fluid burning....if those check out, i look for things like belts that may have malfunctioned and burned due to friction (as if something locked up), or tires rubbing on something.

I would certainly look into the engine compartment and look to see if you can spot smoke coming from and area while the engine is hot / warmed up fully. If you see smoke, you may have found your issue location. There is also a chance you could have a slow but steady freon leak from your coil which could come through the vents, but you wold know soon as your a/c would stop working eventually.

If the smell persists and you don't have a check engine light on or a difference in vehicle performance, then go have it checked out. If the smell was not present before the service and then after wards, I would take it immediately to them and have them re check their work.

Thanks for your troubleshooting advice.. I had it looked at by two others,let the mechanic who did it know also, but they all thought it was just the coating on the oxygen sensor burning off as the smell in that area of replacement, was the same smell that I had coming in to the cabin.''New part smell" The smell was dissipating each time I drove it and getting weaker so I trust that this was the issue and they were all convinced it would totally go away in a couple of days. If I have a chance to actually drive it more then a few blocks over the weekend and it is still there I will take the mechanic who did the replacement, up on his offer and let him have a look at things.Thanks so much for your info though... :)