Window Tint Removal

sgretchko

I purchased a 2002 LS430 that has tinted windows. I would like to remove the tint and am looking for suggestions or tips from someone who has done it. Thank you in advance and stay warm.

I have recently removed tint from windows. It's a ***** to get the glue off. I found using a stanley knive blade and autoglym tar remover worked the best. It's still a nightmare though.

I'm not sure if the Autoglym range is available in the US?

tarremover.jpg

Have you taken your car to a tint shop? Those guys usually know all the tricks and have the tools and chemicals to remove tint - particularly important so as to not damage the rear window defroster.

Is your tint damaged, too dark, wrong color, or you just don't like it?

I have taken tint off of many cars it isn't that hard but it is a pia. The back windows are the worst. Tint shops don't charge much to remove tint either. I had tint taken off of a car at a local tint shop for like $50.00 for my mom. If you want to do it on you own get a razor blade as mentioned and a adhesive remover goo gone works good but here is a tip mist your car door down with water so that the sticky gunk doesn't get all over your interior doors.

Good luck...I would just take it somewhere honestly.

Thank you for your input. I am going to take it to a detail shop. They use steam to avoid damaging the wires in the rear window. I have gotten phone quotes of $75 to $100 so it does not make sense to do it myself in a cold garage.

I have nothing against the tint, it is illegal on the front windows and I just don't care for the way it looks. I understand the need for it in hot climates with dark interiors but it is not needed in Michigan with a light interior. I appreciate your thoughts.

I've found the following website usually accurate and it seems to say that tint is legal on the front side windows: http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/MI/

If the tint is no darker than 25-30%, consider holding off for a while and see if it grows on you. I never thought I would like tint but I found it makes cars more pleasant to drive and reduces sun damage to the interior. It also makes items inside more difficult to see for a thief especially if you use a windshield sun shade.

Actually that was the first thing I did to the GX tint the front (back is done factory). X5 had that done by the dealer. I love the look of tint and I think it cuts down on the headlight glare at night from cars behind you too.

The info on the website is incomplete. In Michigan, front side tint is only allowed within 4 inches from the top of the window unless you meet the criteria for a medical exception. This allows some measure of sun protection and still protects law enforcment.

I will have the front tint removed and may keep the rest to see if I like it, however, I suspect by midsummer it will all be gone. Everyone has different opinions, likes and dislikes, it keeps life interesting. What fun would it be to go to Baskin Robbins if you couldn't choose from 31 flavors? Thanks again.