What Is This Belt For? Is It Mine?

ericjbmark

I have a 2002 RX300 that I drive very rarely. Last weekend, I drove to the airport to pick up my parents and on my way home I ran over someone's trash (oil pan?) on the highway ... didn't think twice.

Today I walked by my car and found a belt dangling underneath my car - right underneath the front axle area on the passenger side. I open up the hood and I don't see anything that look like it's missing a belt. The car starts fine, no dash light, and seems to drive fine (I roll it forward and back into my spot just to check).

The belt is a GoodYear GatorBack 4040372 4PK945. Does anyone have a hunch as to if this belong in my car or could I just possibly have picked up some trash and carried it home from the road?

Any comment would be appreciated. I recently just spent 3K on maintenance and I really don't want to drive it back to the dealer again and I don't know of any trustworthy shops around where I live in NYC. Thanks a bunch in advance!

No this is not from your car if the belt number you gave was correct friend.

You would know if you were missing a belt fairly soon. A/C and Alternator would not work. OR, Power Steering would not work.

Much appreciated! The part numbers are correct, I have the belt next to me right now inside a ziplock bag. :)

I checked all over the web and none would tell me if that belt fits my car at all. As long as that belt doesn't belong inside the RX300 02' engine, I know I am in the clear! Btw, how exactly did you figure out that belt is not mine? Even the mfg doesn't list what engine that part fits? Annoying ...

I have been reading for hours before posting, and I am just afraid that it's indeed mine and my car would run for a few miles then blow up or something.

Thanks!

I have been reading for hours before posting, and I am just afraid that it's indeed mine and my car would run for a few miles then blow up or something.

TMJ is correct. IF you were missing a belt (you only have 2 external belts) you wouldn't have any power steering or else you wouldn't have any charging (alt.). Don't really imagine you'd miss the A/C this time of year even if it was not working. (A/C and alt. are the same belt)