Winter For My Ls 400

turboomni

I live in the North East USA and as of Jan 3 2011 my Lexus 1997 LS400 has been under snow and shall stay that way as far as I am concerned. I can't imagine driving this thing in this snow even with the stock type tires. I am driving now my daughter's Jeep Grand Cherokee which I hate but it does get me around!! I am looking forward to cruising around in my hopefully still rust free LS400 in the spring. Hang in there you guys!

I live in montreal canada, and I've been driving my 97 ls400 in the snow all winter. I put some michelin x-ice winter tires on it and it grips fine. I haven't got stuck yet lol. I always find myself turning off the traction control and drifting, its so much fun. Its having trouble starting on cold days though, but i think thats my starter thats about to go.

Tuesday evening I drove my 2000 LS400 approximately 200 yards through 12 inches of unblemished snow to get out of my workplace parking lot - almost everyone else had left before noon. I didn't think I was going to make it out. I had to shovel away a three foot snow drift in front of my car so I could get a running start out of my parking space and then had to take several runs at it to get up a hill to a level part of the parking lot that was still 150 years from the street.

I've got a new set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires on my 2000 LS400 and the VSC and "snow mode" transmission setting help a LOT. It's actually great fun to drive this car in snow.

well, when the old man gets up and sees snow, I just set and wait for it to go away. but this has been a different winter, (where is that global warming) we have had snow/ice for about week now. Bring on the spring for me.... and this morning they say more is on the way.. we have finished the 2002 LX470 but cant move it.

post-5365-0-75987500-1296747324_thumb.jp

coolant sensor is cheap. Starter motor repair is the big one since they have to remove the intake manifold to get to it.. Lots of labor. Make sure its not just frayed or loose battery connections before you drop $500 or more on a starter motor.

I live in the North East USA and as of Jan 3 2011 my Lexus 1997 LS400 has been under snow and shall stay that way as far as I am concerned. I can't imagine driving this thing in this snow even with the stock type tires. I am driving now my daughter's Jeep Grand Cherokee which I hate but it does get me around!! I am looking forward to cruising around in my hopefully still rust free LS400 in the spring. Hang in there you guys!

Gimme a break and man up.., just drive it....I live in alberta, canada and have only been driving for 3 years and i have no compaints. Sure i got stuck a few times but thats because there was so much snow it lifting the car from the ground and the wheels couldnt make contact.

The !Removed! car doesnt even have a block heater but it still starts in -40 :)...Barely but it starts...

Gimme a break and man up.., just drive it....I live in alberta, canada and have only been driving for 3 years and i have no compaints. Sure i got stuck a few times but thats because there was so much snow it lifting the car from the ground and the wheels couldnt make contact.

The !Removed! car doesnt even have a block heater but it still starts in -40 :)...Barely but it starts...

Really! People down here are wimps when it comes to snow. Put some freakin' snow tires on your car, stop complaining and just drive it. Some of my relatives who moved from Ontario to the U.S. and didn't like it moved to just north of Whitecourt, Alberta. What we are experience in the U.S. this winter is mild compared to a typical winter up there.

Well you guys have had a lot of snow this year. Some sort of record. Put 300-400 pounds of weight in the trunk (sandbags or bags of water softener salt). Also consider buying a second set of wheels and putting snow tires on them for winter. The rubber compound is different for winter tires and of course the tread pattern is more aggressive.

i have some winter tires but i got stuck a few times and had some good tire spins, now there is only 30% tire tread left. I never did put sand bags in the back but i can tell you that this car is alot better in the snow than a 2wd truck. The trac system is a nice touch when it works that is... i have to bleed the brakes as well as the accumulator...it was good all winter until now the trac light comes randomely. Most of the crap winter is almost over now anyways.

Seriously though this car has never let me down and it doesnt even have a block heater!, the only problem is the engine undercover falling off due to an idiot uncle pulling me out when i was stuck one time in a 3 foot snow drift...some zip ties fixed that until i find some washers and bolts. Also when its really cold it doesnt warm up too well in the cabin...i think it has a summer coolant temp sensor....There are two sensors basically, they allow the engine to reach certain tempuratures.

I live in NE Ohio and we have had a lot of snow this season. I drive my 98 LS400 with all season tire every day with no problem. VSC and Snow setting on Trans makes it handle the snow very well. I can't imagine how good it would be with winter tires! I learned to drive back in the 60's with rear wheel drive cars and the LS handles snow better than anything I drove back then:) Joe

Did I say I was driving my daughter's Jeep grand Cherokee instead?? ,,Yup I did ..I hate it but it is better than my 400. 4.7 v8 ,,gas hog pig American car,,but it has 4 wheel drive.

I went to a Lexus dealer and had it washed for free and parked it. It will hit the upper 40's in temp this week and maybe I will dig the beauty out!