Timing Belt Problem?

I have a 2003 Lexus ES300. The car has about 60,500 miles. A few months ago, I got major servicing done on the car. The timing and accessory belts were replaced, new transmission fluid, new water pump, alignment, and tire rotation/balancing. Once I got the car back, I felt that when I accelerated, the engine was louder and not as smooth. The cabin noise had basically increased a bit and the accelerator needed a bit more pressure as there was a bit more of resistance. I assumed that this was due to the new timing belt. I figured that it just had to be worn in a bit or maybe it was too tight. Recently it was noticed that the car made this strange sound on the highway. The more and more I have been driving it the more often it occurs. Now it seems to be consistent when the car is in motion. When I hit the brake and the engine disengages the noise goes away. It also might be since the car is going at a much slower pace because it didn't make this noise when being driven around 10mph and under. However, the noise is consistent when the car is cruising at 30mph and higher. The sound is hard to describe but it basically sounds like something could be loose or like a rattling noise. It is loud enough to notice when listening to the radio/music. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be? Is it the timing belt? Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You probably are going to have to take it back and get it diagnosed....The timing belt does not have to be worn in. Did you have the service performed by LEXUS or Toyota, or and independent.? Also did you have a flush done on the transmission or a drain and fill?

The service was performed by Lexus. The earliest that it can be taken is a week from now. I'm just trying to figure out what the problem is and if it is safe to drive. I found the following in Wikipedia "Correct belt tension is critical - too loose and the belt will whip, too tight and it will whine and put excess strain on the bearings of the cogs. In either case belt life will be drastically shortened. Aside from the belt itself, also common is a failure of the tensioner, and/or the various gear and idler bearings, causing the belt to derail." After reading this description I feel like the belt was put tightly and is in turn causing problems. I want to say that the transmission fluid was flushed, however, I am not positive. I haven't notice any problems with the transmission on the other hand. The gears seem to be changing smoothly.

Sounds like they didnt put something back together correctly...without checking the engine compartment and with your observations it is really impossible to diagnose...Afraid it is one of those things that you have to be there to diagnose...Please tell us what it was when you get it repaired..