Exhaust Leak..

Heavymental

95 LS, i have a exhaust leak at the joints after the cat on both sides. Its leaking at the joint/gasket area. Wondering if i should remove the piping and put in new gaskets or use some cement, exhause sealer.

What do you guys recommend?

Depends upon the severity of the leak. Personally, I would use a new gasket because external sealers usually only hold temporarily(if at all) due to heat and vibration.

i can see exhaust air shooting out when i start up.

can i change out the 2 gaskets without removing the entire exhaust system?

I sure hope so. Removing the entire system from engine exhaust manifold to tailpipe is a big job. You will probably encounter stubborn, rusted bolts along the way which may require a good soaking in PB Blaster (or equiv) or perhaps a torch to heat them up before removing. Usually, when it comes to minor exhaust work like this, I will take it to an muffler shop with a lift. They are done in a fraction of the time it would take me and for (usually) a very reasonable cost.

• 3 years later...

This thread is old, I just want to mention that changing these 2 gaskets is easy. You need to remove both sides at the same time and the pipe will drop by itself. It shouldn't take more than 1 hour (if you don't face problem like me that the gaskets are still leak after installing new gaskets).

I used new gaskets (twisted off a couple of bolts that I had to deal with) and mine is ok now..

Thanks billydpowell. I used new OEM gaskets but didn't work. I will have to do it again. I was thinking to double the gaskets or use one gasket and add an layer of gasket sealer on the top side. I also think the CATs are noisy but as long there is no error code I would leave them alone as they are quiet expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 93 Lexus ls400. My exhaust pipe has broken and can't get the bottom piece undone so that the egr pipe just drop out.. Does anyone know what all need to be removed to get the the lower end of the egr pipe. It has broken at the manifold.. Also does anyone know where I can get block off plates for a good price?

I have a 93 Lexus ls400. My exhaust pipe has broken and can't get the bottom piece undone so that the egr pipe just drop out.. Does anyone know what all need to be removed to get the the lower end of the egr pipe. It has broken at the manifold.. Also does anyone know where I can get block off plates for a good price?