Got Scan Code Of P0456 And Replaced The Gas Tankccap - What Next ?

Hello All,

I got "check engine" light on yesterday, so I took my vehicle to the nearest Autozone (as suggested on this forum . I want to thank for this great advice. It also saved me a few $.) for free OBD II scan code using Actron CP9125 PocketScan Code Reader.

The scan code came out to be P0456 - Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected. One of the probable causes mentioned on the print-out was "loose/faulty gas tank Cap". So, I replaced with a new one and drove the car 20 miles or so.

Now.....I am getting conflicting advice (such as "go back to Autozone and ask them to reset" - they(Autozone) flatly refused to reset the code stating their official policy to "disconnect the battery for 1/2 hr to reset everything" etc.) as to what to do next. Hence, I decided to get help on this forum.

PLEASE HELP ME.

Thanks

Vic

Hello All,

I got "check engine" light on yesterday, so I took my vehicle to the nearest Autozone (as suggested on this forum . I want to thank for this great advice. It also saved me a few $.) for free OBD II scan code using Actron CP9125 PocketScan Code Reader.

The scan code came out to be P0456 - Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected. One of the probable causes mentioned on the print-out was "loose/faulty gas tank Cap". So, I replaced with a new one and drove the car 20 miles or so.

Now.....I am getting conflicting advice (such as "go back to Autozone and ask them to reset" - they(Autozone) flatly refused to reset the code stating their official policy to "disconnect the battery for 1/2 hr to reset everything" etc.) as to what to do next. Hence, I decided to get help on this forum.

PLEASE HELP ME.

Thanks

Vic

If the problem was indeed the Gas Cap, and you changed it, than your Check Engine Light will turn OFF by itself over the next few days. If it stays ON after 2-4 days, than the Gas Cap change did not resolve the problem.

I believe that Auto Zone changed their Corporate policy in terms that they will still retrieve and tell you your Codes, but will not reset them.

At some point you may consider buying your own Code Reader. Its well worth it, and not that expensive. Especially when they go on Sale.

Make sure that you get one capable of erasing codes as well.

Phil