Replacing Hid Bulbs On '01-03 Ls430

jainla

I have not seen a good write up on this I figured I would share.

I've been witness to the slow death of one of my Low Beam HID bulbs. I called the Lexus Dealer who quoted me ~$200 for a new HID bulb plus labor to install it. After I picked my jaw up off the floor I asked if this was for the pair or each. They said each. I said thanks and investigated other options.

The OEM bulbs seem to be made by Sylvania (at least mine were) and after some research I located an OEM equivalent by Phillips on eBay. I paid ~$90 with shipping FOR THE PAIR. Then I actually had to put them in.

Note: some bulb problems are caused by the ballast going bad; mine appear to be just the bulb. The bulb would stay on, then change color (going orange) then almost completely go out. It used to last a couple minutes; by the end it was a sad dim ember.

post-19665-0-73978400-1296429214_thumb.j

Contrary to what I've read on this and other forums you DO NOT have to remove the headlight assembly. You do however have to remove a cover and a fusebox and be comfortable working in confined spaces that you can't see.

You will need:

• a phillips screwdriver
  • a 10mm socket wrench
  • 2 D2R bulbs of your choice
  • about 30 min of your time.

These are HID bulbs so it is possible that there will be some residual voltage left in the system. I recommend doing this after the car has sat overnight, or wear gloves and long sleeves to help insulate yourself. Also don't stand on a metal grid or a puddle of water. And of course DO NOT TOUCH the glass surface with your hand; the oils on it will cause the glass to heat unevenly, crack and eventually melt or explode.

I didn't really take photos while I was doing it because the back of the light assembly is basically invisible; but these will help you when taking apart the car. It's far easier than it looks.

1. Remove the cover on the passengers side; there are 4 clips; two are the standard Lexus center pop-up clips, just pry the center out and the clip should come off. The two on the back both have Phillips style centers; one screws out like the pop up clips, one is just a cap that sits on top of another bolt underneath it; it will stay with the cover.
    post-19665-0-86435000-1296429201_thumb.j
  2. Remove the fusebox on the drivers side; this is a standard 10mm bolt, and then there are two metal clips that pop open on the back. You can lift this up and twist it so it sits on top of the other boxes and covers and gives you access to the back of the assembly.
    post-19665-0-63905900-1296429153_thumb.j
  3. Remove the cover- each LB bulb has a 3 inch round cover directly behind that covers the whole business; reach behind the assembly and twist this; it will unlock and you can pull it out.
  4. Unlock the connector from the back of the bulb; it twists off to unlock. Set aside (try not to touch the inner bits).
  5. Remove the retaining clips - each light has a U-shaped clip that pivots from the bottom and has little loops on the top. These are HARD to remove; particularly because you can't really see them. Feel around and you'll find some other parts of the clip to pull on and open them up. (I found this actually was the hardest part!).
  6. Replace the bulb -- each bulb has a ringed collar with 2 notches in it so it really only fits in there one way. Put the replacement bulb in gently and rotate it until it seats; you'll see a little of it in the headlight behind the chrome cap and you'll be able to confirm it's straight.

Put the car back together, replacing the retaining clips and covers. Make sure the retaining clips and wiring connectors are sound; the bulb should be solidly in there. The pop-out clips need to be in the extended position (not the closed position) for them to fit back into the holes.

Cost of parts: ~$90

Cost of labor: ~30min of my sunday.

2 new headlight bulbs that didn't cost a fortune: priceless.

I had no idea Lexus used Sylvania HID bulbs, i thought they always used Philips. :huh: I guess that explains why they burned out!

Philips bulbs are indeed the best out there. Good write up!

• 2 weeks later...

Many Thanks as I was able to replace my headlight without any problems thanks to this post. Only regret was I paid $99.00 for a single bulb at Advance Auto Parts. Think I will order a pair off of the internet to keep around which are much cheaper.

• 1 month later...

I have not seen a good write up on this I figured I would share.

I've been witness to the slow death of one of my Low Beam HID bulbs. I called the Lexus Dealer who quoted me ~$200 for a new HID bulb plus labor to install it. After I picked my jaw up off the floor I asked if this was for the pair or each. They said each. I said thanks and investigated other options.

The OEM bulbs seem to be made by Sylvania (at least mine were) and after some research I located an OEM equivalent by Phillips on eBay. I paid ~$90 with shipping FOR THE PAIR. Then I actually had to put them in.

Note: some bulb problems are caused by the ballast going bad; mine appear to be just the bulb. The bulb would stay on, then change color (going orange) then almost completely go out. It used to last a couple minutes; by the end it was a sad dim ember.

post-19665-0-73978400-1296429214_thumb.j

Contrary to what I've read on this and other forums you DO NOT have to remove the headlight assembly. You do however have to remove a cover and a fusebox and be comfortable working in confined spaces that you can't see.

You will need:

• a phillips screwdriver
  • a 10mm socket wrench
  • 2 D2R bulbs of your choice
  • about 30 min of your time.

These are HID bulbs so it is possible that there will be some residual voltage left in the system. I recommend doing this after the car has sat overnight, or wear gloves and long sleeves to help insulate yourself. Also don't stand on a metal grid or a puddle of water. And of course DO NOT TOUCH the glass surface with your hand; the oils on it will cause the glass to heat unevenly, crack and eventually melt or explode.

I didn't really take photos while I was doing it because the back of the light assembly is basically invisible; but these will help you when taking apart the car. It's far easier than it looks.

1. Remove the cover on the passengers side; there are 4 clips; two are the standard Lexus center pop-up clips, just pry the center out and the clip should come off. The two on the back both have Phillips style centers; one screws out like the pop up clips, one is just a cap that sits on top of another bolt underneath it; it will stay with the cover.
    post-19665-0-86435000-1296429201_thumb.j
  2. Remove the fusebox on the drivers side; this is a standard 10mm bolt, and then there are two metal clips that pop open on the back. You can lift this up and twist it so it sits on top of the other boxes and covers and gives you access to the back of the assembly.
    post-19665-0-63905900-1296429153_thumb.j
  3. Remove the cover- each LB bulb has a 3 inch round cover directly behind that covers the whole business; reach behind the assembly and twist this; it will unlock and you can pull it out.
  4. Unlock the connector from the back of the bulb; it twists off to unlock. Set aside (try not to touch the inner bits).
  5. Remove the retaining clips - each light has a U-shaped clip that pivots from the bottom and has little loops on the top. These are HARD to remove; particularly because you can't really see them. Feel around and you'll find some other parts of the clip to pull on and open them up. (I found this actually was the hardest part!).
  6. Replace the bulb -- each bulb has a ringed collar with 2 notches in it so it really only fits in there one way. Put the replacement bulb in gently and rotate it until it seats; you'll see a little of it in the headlight behind the chrome cap and you'll be able to confirm it's straight.

Put the car back together, replacing the retaining clips and covers. Make sure the retaining clips and wiring connectors are sound; the bulb should be solidly in there. The pop-out clips need to be in the extended position (not the closed position) for them to fit back into the holes.

Cost of parts: ~$90

Cost of labor: ~30min of my sunday.

2 new headlight bulbs that didn't cost a fortune: priceless.

Great Post!

Could you provide the part number for the HID bulbs?

• 6 months later...

The hardest past is undoing and reattaching the clips. The clip is a u-shaped clip that pivots from the bottom. Gently push both sides at the top of the u, towards the light housing, and they should unclip. I am not the most mechanical person, so if I can do it, anyone can. It took me longer than 30 minutes though!

I hope I don't jinx myself but I'm 8 years in and 110k miles and still on the original bulbs. They might be expensive but they sure last a long time..... Not expensive when you consider full lifecycle cost...

I hope I don't jinx myself but I'm 8 years in and 110k miles and still on the original bulbs. They might be expensive but they sure last a long time..... Not expensive when you consider full lifecycle cost...

you'd best find a piece of wood, real fast! Maybe a couple of taps on the walnut interior would do the trick. ;)

• 3 years later...