Dirty Light Tan Interior

bobII

2010 RX350 white with tan interior. This is our second RX350 the previous one a 2008 was also white with tan interior. After 3 months the seats are very dirty especially where they come in contact with clothing when getting in and out of the car. We had our 2008 for 3 1/2 years and the tan interior on it looked better at trade in than this one does now. Both the 2008 and the 2010 had the exterior and interior protectant done, cannot remember the process name. We have talked to our dealership and we get the feeling that this may be a known issue with this particular (2010) leather color. We are waiting until after winter to take the car in to have the interior cleaned as a claim, covered under the interior protectant we purchased.

The leather and light tan color of the 2008 and the 2010 are different.

Is anyone else experiencing this with the tan interior on a 2010?

I don't have a 2010 but i agree that the 04-09 Rx leather is much different than that of the 99-03 rx300 and 2010-present RX's.

The leather in the 04-09's is very "tough" and seems to have a thicker dye than previous and present years. For the 2010 Rx's, Lexus softened up the leather a bit... Although it's much softer, it's also more sensitive.

So far we have not done anything. We paid for an exterior and interior protectant, can not remember the name of the product the dealer sold us, it was our understanding that the protectant would eliminate the problem we have. As mentioned, our 2008 looked better after 3 1/2 years than this one does after 3 months. The reason we have not attempted doing our own cleaning is I am not sure what to use and also did not want to do anything to cause issue with the warrenty related to the protectant.

I have noticed some "jeans" rub-off on the edge of the drivers seat on my 2010 ES350. Can anyone tell me if this model/year ES has the softer leather or the new coating?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul, what do you mean when you ask if your ES's leather has the "new coating"? I believe the only coating they're talking about is the polyshield coating you need to pay a rediculous amount for at purchase, the junk that they spray on (which just rubs off). These coatings aren't permanent or anything, it's just like "waxing" the leather.

My guess is that the leather in the 2010 ES is the same as that of the 2010 Rx... I do know Lexus offered two types of leathers for the ES depending on which package you got, some type of semi-aniline material vs the regular stuff. I believe the semi-aniline leather is even softer than the regular type.

I have noticed some "jeans" rub-off on the edge of the drivers seat on my 2010 ES350. Can anyone tell me if this model/year ES has the softer leather or the new coating?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul, what do you mean when you ask if your ES's leather has the "new coating"? I believe the only coating they're talking about is the polyshield coating you need to pay a rediculous amount for at purchase, the junk that they spray on (which just rubs off). These coatings aren't permanent or anything, it's just like "waxing" the leather.

My guess is that the leather in the 2010 ES is the same as that of the 2010 Rx... I do know Lexus offered two types of leathers for the ES depending on which package you got, some type of semi-aniline material vs the regular stuff. I believe the semi-aniline leather is even softer than the regular type.

I was refering to the "New Coating" mentioned in LexRex's posting.

This is the info about the new coating. I saw it here first. My service advisor did confirm that it is on the 2011s.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/24/seat-of-the-pants-driving-lessons-courtesy-of-lexus/

The polyshield coating that I have was part of the ding protection I purchased. No, I don't think it was ridiculously expensive because it covers all dings for 5 years. I have it on my IS because it received so many dings the first 3 months! Good luck.

This is the info about the new coating. I saw it here first. My service advisor did confirm that it is on the 2011s.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/24/seat-of-the-pants-driving-lessons-courtesy-of-lexus/

The polyshield coating that I have was part of the ding protection I purchased. No, I don't think it was ridiculously expensive because it covers all dings for 5 years. I have it on my IS because it received so many dings the first 3 months! Good luck.

Do you mind sharing what you paid? Most of these things are overpriced but if you are happy with it that is all that matters. :cheers:

[i think it was about $600 in August. I don't really remember, but if you use the ding repairs a few times it certainly is worth it. My IS has had 5 dings repaired in 2 years and every year it gets a new polyshield coating. Of course when I got that insurance I believe it was cheaper. Even when Tilex was splashed all over the side it didn't stain or fade. In fact it didn't penetrate at all. I believe a coating is also placed and the insurance covers the windshield, too. I've never had a problem with any of my cars' windshields though.

[i think it was about $600 in August. I don't really remember, but if you use the ding repairs a few times it certainly is worth it. My IS has had 5 dings repaired in 2 years and every year it gets a new polyshield coating. Of course when I got that insurance I believe it was cheaper. Even when Tilex was splashed all over the side it didn't stain or fade. In fact it didn't penetrate at all. I believe a coating is also placed and the insurance covers the windshield, too. I've never had a problem with any of my cars' windshields though.

$600 isn't bad for interior, exterior, dings and windshields.

As far as your leather I would make sure to at least clean and condition the leather. My leather seems to be holding up great...I have the light orca color...semi aniline leather...

• 2 weeks later...

2010 RX350 white with tan interior. This is our second RX350 the previous one a 2008 was also white with tan interior. After 3 months the seats are very dirty especially where they come in contact with clothing when getting in and out of the car. We had our 2008 for 3 1/2 years and the tan interior on it looked better at trade in than this one does now. Both the 2008 and the 2010 had the exterior and interior protectant done, cannot remember the process name. We have talked to our dealership and we get the feeling that this may be a known issue with this particular (2010) leather color. We are waiting until after winter to take the car in to have the interior cleaned as a claim, covered under the interior protectant we purchased.

The leather and light tan color of the 2008 and the 2010 are different.

Is anyone else experiencing this with the tan interior on a 2010?

Here's an update. For severe "Jeans Rub Off", I've found that a product called Goof-Off works well. I used it mostly on the (Vinyl) seat sides where it worked easily. Used it very carefully on the worst parts of the top surface, then immediately cleaned it off with a leather cleaner and a conditioner (Eagle One). this seems to have worked.

Previously:

Yes, we have a 2010 with the standard grade light interior and it has been seriously discolored by blue jean stains (even though the jeans were the "stone washed" denim) - it is a constant battle to keep it remotely clean after 9 months and 7k miles. It seems to have picked up permanent stains during a 3k mile vacation and nothing I have tried will fully remove them. I have used 3 types of cleaners for auto leather. One by "Eagle Ottowa" that I purchased years ago seems to work moderately well, but still has left blue "images" on the seat bottom sides. I'm not sure if those parts are really leather, though, so perhaps a strong vinyl cleaner is needed. I'm affraid to try anything that might weaken the material.

I think i know now why companies like BMW, Acura, Infiniti and Audi use hard tough leathers in their cars. The soft high quality stuff Lexus uses is just too delicate. <_<

You have to stay on top of it with the leather seats. I bought some leather cleaner at the dealership that works well, but it is a pain. Worse yet is the light tan threshold scuff boards along the floor at the door entry points. Why in the world they didn't go black to hide scuffs and match the dash is beyond my comprehension. I looked into buying replacement thresholds in black and was told they would cost $900. For four pieces of plastic?