Gx 470

jnoelle77

I took my 2003 GX470 in for routine maintenance at a Lexus dealership. It has <57,000 miles. They found a leaking radiator. Though I have not noticed the red colored radiator fluid in my garage floor, they were able to show me where it was leaking and I got radiator fluid on my finger when looking under the car with the tech. It looks to be a slow leak. Estimate to replace the radiator was $1227.

They also told me that I needed to change my timing belt or risk catastrophic damage to the engine should the belt snap. I later verified on my owner's manual, which suggests changing the timing belt every six years or 90,000 miles. The dealership also recommended that the water belt and drive belt be changed at the same time, as those are a "package deal" when the timing belt is changed. However, I don't see the water or drive belt change as part of the same six year/90K mile recommendation in the owner's manual. Estimated price: $1543.

Does the timing belt need to be changed due to the time even even though the mileage is low?

If so, is it true that the water and drive belts need to be changed at the same time as the timing belt? Why?

Do either / both of these changes (radiator, belts) need to be changed at a Lexus dealership?

Any ideas of what these changes might cost at non Lexus dealership?

Does anyone have recommendations of a non-Lexus dealership that can do this type of work on Lexus autos in the Boston area?

Thanks!

If you are going to get it done take it to a Toyota dealership. They can do it much cheaper or look around and ask around for a good independent shop. I wouldn't think the timing belt would need changing yet they are just saying due to age not milage.

If the radiator is leaking not due to having been damaged in an accident, then take the car to a good radiator shop and have it REPAIRED! The dealership is not interested in repairing anything but rather replacing it. Have the belt inspected and go from there. Find yourself a good reliable shop that works on your car. I know that is not easy these days, but someone is out there who will be fair and not overcharge you.

Hope that helps

Pete

I took my 2003 GX470 in for routine maintenance at a Lexus dealership. It has <57,000 miles. They found a leaking radiator. Though I have not noticed the red colored radiator fluid in my garage floor, they were able to show me where it was leaking and I got radiator fluid on my finger when looking under the car with the tech. It looks to be a slow leak. Estimate to replace the radiator was $1227.

They also told me that I needed to change my timing belt or risk catastrophic damage to the engine should the belt snap. I later verified on my owner's manual, which suggests changing the timing belt every six years or 90,000 miles. The dealership also recommended that the water belt and drive belt be changed at the same time, as those are a "package deal" when the timing belt is changed. However, I don't see the water or drive belt change as part of the same six year/90K mile recommendation in the owner's manual. Estimated price: $1543.

Does the timing belt need to be changed due to the time even even though the mileage is low?

If so, is it true that the water and drive belts need to be changed at the same time as the timing belt? Why?

Do either / both of these changes (radiator, belts) need to be changed at a Lexus dealership?

Any ideas of what these changes might cost at non Lexus dealership?

Does anyone have recommendations of a non-Lexus dealership that can do this type of work on Lexus autos in the Boston area?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2004 and my radiator leaked as well. Mine was replaced while still under warranty. It seems to be a common problem with 2003-2004 models. The price of the radiator is about $270, it is the same as 4Runner 8 cylinder model.

As far as timing belt job, you should change it after 90k (some take it to 120k), consider sooner if you reside in hot climate or towing trailers. I did mine at 100k in PA climate. The belt I removed was in great shape not dry and very flexible which means I could probably take it to 120k, but who wants to take the risk of bending valve and do a cylinder head job.

When you replace a timing belt is a good idea to replace water pump (since it is driven by timing belt), belt tensioner, thermostat and inspect idle pulleys (but those normally less long time). I would certainly consider doing it (not urgently but still) and would take the car to Toyota dealer, since their labor charges are less. I got all parts from Tundra (same motor and transmission) with acception of radiator hoses. If you do that you will save about 30% on parts alone.

My 2004 was overdue for the timing belt having 110,000 miles. These are interference engines so if it breaks - big dollars to fix. Took it to an indepentent shop, turns out my radiator was leaking slowly also. They installed an aftermarket radiator and changed the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt and thermostat. The total was $1300 in Southern California

After market radiator is only about $230 total...then add labor. I would think $1100 for everything at an independent...(water pump, timing belt, and idler bearings) plus the radiator.