Vsc And Another Light Turned On, I'm Concernec

technoguy

Hi all, this is my first post. I'm from Auckland, New Zealand. I have a Lexus Rx330 2005 done only 50000kms. Last services at about 36000kms 10 months back. Just today the VSC light and another light turned ON and I'm concerned. Here is a picture showing the lights. Please advice, owners manual says 'take to dealer' but they are closed for 2 days. Need to know if I can continue driving and what can be the issue? Thanks

2qlrbyf.jpg

The warning light above the speedometer looks like the check engine light (CEL). The VSC warning light often comes on with the CEL and doesn't mean that there is a problem with the VSC -- VSC seems to turn off as some sort of safety feature.

You may need a code reader to determine the problem. Many issues can light up the CEL. On some models, just a loose or defective fuel filler cap can cause these warning lights.

Your car is "probably" safe to drive if the engine is running at the correct operating temperature and all fluids are at their proper levels.

The struts that keep the bonnet (we call it a "hood" in the U.S.) open tend to wear out and are easily replaced - perhaps a five minute job each. I replaced them on both of my LS400's at about the five to seven year mark. You can get them from a Lexus dealer and some have found aftermarket replacements on eBay for less money.

My Lexus is covered under warranty till April this year and due for a service in March,this will be the last free service. Last time they serviced was in march 09 and they recommend servicing only once a year, is that right? Also,during last service they just replaced engine oil and filter. Should they be replacing some other major/minor parts as I don't want them to just try to save their money by doing only oil/filter again. Thanks

My Lexus is covered under warranty till April this year and due for a service in March,this will be the last free service. Last time they serviced was in march 09 and they recommend servicing only once a year, is that right? Also,during last service they just replaced engine oil and filter. Should they be replacing some other major/minor parts as I don't want them to just try to save their money by doing only oil/filter again. Thanks

"Once a year" servicing and oil changes would not be acceptable for U.S. specification Lexus vehicles that are still under warranty but I know that different service intervals are specified in other parts of the world. Do you have the maintenance schedule for NZ for your RX? I can see "5?388" on the odometer in your instrument cluster photo which I assume is in kilometers -- I can see why your Lexus dealer might say that "once a year" servicing is acceptable if the vehicle is driven so little.

Radiator coolant and especially brake fluid are usually replaced based on calendar time as well as mileage so check to see what your maintenance manual says about those items.