Visual Reference Needed For Air Strut Removal Please

seatownswag

So ive done a bit of research on the topic but im missing one key component, I know what needs to be done for removal of my front air struts on my 91 ls400. The problem I ran into when attempting to tackle this myself was I couldn't find the location of the air lines so I could deflate the struts and remove them.

I purchased new upper control arms and need to install them but am left scratching my head. If i understand this removal process correctly I would need to turn my system off with the switch in the trunk and raise the front. remove the wheels and unbolt certain parts accordingly...i need to release air from the struts to compress them for removal so I may install the new control arms but I couldn't find them. In the engine bay I believe but wasn't too sure.

If anyone could help me pin point with a picture I would appreciate it, I've only been able to find 2 images online and both give me some conflicting information. if you have any useful info to aid my progress I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tony

The air line connection is at the rear of the unit,you should be able to feel it if you reach around the back,releasing the top and bottom mounts first may give you a little movement to allow access to the union.

This may explain better.

http://www.lextreme.com/bushing.html

wow..thats what I needed thank you so much. I wasn't 100% sure where they were located but now it should be easy work, my last question I have if you wouldn't mind me asking is can I bleed the air lines from the wheel well or does it need to be done from engine bay. most references show in engine bay...passengers side being hardest do to because of air intake system being in the way.

again thank you so much you saved me time and most of all money I dont have at the moment.

Is an alignment necassary after changing the struts? I did my brakes on a sc400 and from what I saw on how the struts wer mounted I do not know if a alignment is called for. I have called repair shops and they say absolutly, but are they saying that cause they want money? Help???

Is an alignment necessary after changing the struts? I did my brakes on a sc400 and from what I saw on how the struts were mounted I do not know if a alignment is called for. I have called repair shops and they say absolutely, but are they saying that cause they want money? Help???

If you are talking wheel alignment I would say yes if the repair involves removing/refitting any steering components like track rod ends or bottom ball joints,when I replaced my BBJs I noticed that afterwards the steering wheel was not centered with the wheels pointing straight,it was after the tracking was adjusted.

For the sake of £20.00 here in the UK it's cheaper than having to replace tires with uneven wear caused by the tracking being out