My Vw Gti

nc211

Man, I sure do love these cars! I'd have to say, the 2013 4door GTI is probably one of the top 3 vehicles on the market in general these days. Fun, excellent build quality, stylish, comfortable, extremely versatile, deceptively fast, and economical. Hard to argue with this kind of MPG's in DC commuter traffic with less than 2k miles on the car in general. True, it takes the premium fuel. But who cares, when $30 bucks in gas can go for an entire work week on a 42 mile round-trip daily commute in general. Probably the best $30k I've ever spent for any vehicle I've ever owned.

Now, the Volvo XC90 - not so much... Probably won't have that one for very long. Comfy, yes. Safe, yes. Quality of materials used, not really. Not impressed by the leather seating, the hard plastic rattles, the floatiness, and the hard ride over bumps that seem to come straight into the cabin. Safety first for that one, and that's about it, after 9 months of ownership. Can't figure out how to turn of the oil change light for the life of me (been on since July). The transmission has a false sense of slipping (common complaint I guess), the engine power "pulses", and for 300hp, it just doesn't feel very gutsy. I think it'll probably become something else within the next year or so. The Audi Q7 sure catches our eye, and I have no concerns over quality with the Audi/VW outfit anymore (although would still not buy one w/o the CPO warranty).

But the GTI - that one stays with me for hopefully forever. I'd love to make it my 3rd car in several years down the road, my toy when I get the itch for fun...

post-15797-0-69848800-1346944912_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NC...You really...REALLY need to go test drive a Ram 1500 with the Hemi. Before you buy, talk to me and I will tell you exactly what to look for.

I will never not have one now. I am on my second one and not looking to upgrade for at least 10 years.

• 2 years later...

Well, it's been a few years since I've kicked around these parts! Thought I'd chime in to make sure DC wasn't trying to swipe my avatar!

All continues to be well for the NC family. Kids are growing up fast, son is approaching 7 in May, daughter turned 4 last November. Still at the same job that brought us here to Washington and pretty happy. Best decision I've made, coming here, no argument. Been in DC 3 years now. I do think I have an automotive sickness though, as in those 3 years, I've gone through 6 cars! The Volvo XC 90 that we bought to replace the 4Runner we came here with, was replaced in November 13' with a new Highlander Limited. We love the Highlander big time!

I'm still on the GTI bandwagon and not getting off anytime soon, as I have recently replaced by beloved 2013 as shown above with a new 2015 of the same caliber and spec (loaded). I've been driving these GTI's now for 5 years, and love them as much today as I did on that day in Chicago when I decided to walk down memory lane by test driving the CPO'd 07' that I ended up buying on the spot after a 2 mile test drive, replaced my GS430.

I've a had a few issues with them, none too bad and VW took care of all it. I have yet to spend a dime on any repair for any of them. The 07' was excellent. The 13' has been excellent too, although was disappointed that it needed a new water pump at 30,000 miles. Turned out to be a platform-wide problem that impacted Audi as well. You'd think VW could get that fixed correctly, but seems to be a challenge. Other than that, I've not had a single problem with my 13' and the 38,000 miles I put on this one.

Only reason why I've replaced the 13', is because I could with no money out of pocket. They've created this new monster with the MKVII series and haven't raised the price at all (lowered it actually by a couple hundred). Was looking at the 40,000 miles service which incorporates the pricey DSG transmission service ($400). Just didn't make sense to spend the money (and the pending new brake rotors), when I could simply trade up for a new one at the exact same price as the 13'. I put too many miles on these cars to consider them long-term buys anyways, so to payoff the 13' didn't make sense, especially with where interest rates continue to be (practically free money).

For $500, you can have the computer "flashed" or "chipped" if you will, that turns them into little screaming monsters! I did it on my 13' and went from 200hp 200 torque, to somewhere around 260hp and torque. Unlocked the car's potential big time. The install guy did screw up and they had to try again, but after that, haven't a single problem (done at 8k miles). I am told with the new 2015 series, that same process (which is now less intrusive to the computer, done strictly at the scanner port now remotely), turns the car from 210 hp 260 torque to 325hp and nearly 400 torque! I don't know if I'll do that, because the 260 torque is really an awesome number on these cars and the sweet spot, but I might. It's my understanding that on those "tuned" numbers, you're in 911 territory.

Started this thread as a tracking for VW maintenance and reliability. I can now honestly say that after 5 years, I have no issues with VW cars whatsoever. I love them and would consider some of those nightmare stories we've all heard about VW's, to be history. I've put both of my GTI's through the paces. The first got beat on via Chicago roads. The second one logged 38,000 wonderful miles in DC traffic. I've loved them both, and am confident I'll love the 3rd one even more, if the industry accolades that continue to surround this little car are true.

Plus, it makes it look like I've got more hair on my 41 year old head than I actually do. Because, I'm cool like that! Chic's dig car seats and Frozen blaring out!

You know cars are just better. Years ago you could depend on a British car with having issues, but car manufacturors don't like that kind of publicity....Too much info too fast. Glad that VW has worked out so well, I kind of miss my Diesel Rabbit from 1978 and funny you just don't see any now. Did they all go to Cuba, or some alien abduction? Yah your a real chick magnet with frozen, be careful your wifey will hit you in the shoulder for those wandering eyes. You know lots of women in that town that look for married guys (Monica) . Just remember she is the real McCoy and have that Walter Mitty mind, but flash to reality when kid says are we there yet.???? You are funny guy NC. Hey whats with this site, I didn't even get a Happy Birthday yesterday, Toyota, Nissan, and Ford did....