Trunk Not Closing

aleynm

My 94 Ls400 trunk will not close completely. The latch wont catch so it is in the closed position but not locked. Also the keyhole doesn't seem to have any spring action in it. I think it may be the trunk actuator but I am not sure. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

My 94 Ls400 trunk will not close completely. The latch wont catch so it is in the closed position but not locked. Also the keyhole doesn't seem to have any spring action in it. I think it may be the trunk actuator but I am not sure. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Welcome to LOC! :cheers:

Have you tried taking a screwdriver and moving the latch back and forth to see if the spring is hung up?

I think your original comment about not feeling any "spring" action is on the right track. It could be that the spring within the latch mechanism is broken.

Having said that, if the actuator were to be constantly active(stuck for some reason), trying to unlatch the trunk, it would produce the same effect.

In any case, you are looking at removing the latch itself to have a look and replacing/repairing the faulty part.

Ok, so I would have to replace the latch?

Possibly. It might be repairable especially if a spring is broken. I am not familiar enough to really say. Being a 94 with perhaps lots of use over the years, you might want to just order a new assembly.

Check also for a stuck actuator. Is it a cable or electro-mechanical?

*no spring action

again, probably a broken spring within the latch assembly itself.

BTW, you can edit each of your postings so no need to repost a correction. Just click on the "Edit" button in your post, make the correction(s) and "Save Changes".