Ecu Problems ?

waverider38

New guy here. Just purchased a LS 400 1992. Looking to fix it up. Does anyone know or have had ECU problems with this vehicle? I was told it needed a new computer and decided to do my own research on this car. Thaught this would be one of the best places to start. Looking forward to hearing back. Thanks

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

It is rare for the ECU to fail, what is the car doing/not doing? Is the engine turning over,is it running? Is the engine management light on? Have you read the engine codes?

Please provide some more details so we can help you.

I'll throw out there the fact that for certain years ECM failures are somewhat common. How many miles are on your car? ECM's seem to start failing on higher mileage cars. Mine starting acting up around 200k. 96's and 97's have ECM problems. I think '94's are also common but I'm not sure about '92's. What issues is the car having? I wouldn't throw out the possibility of a bad ECM ever. The very last corrective action to most every check engine light code is to replace the ECM.

Thanks for replies. Im in military and live on Oahu. Car is on the big island. It was a friends that is deployed. Car is high mileage but does run. It idles rough. I dont know codes etc. I found a rebuilder that said they will check it free at my cost of shipping. So it will be sent next week. Just curious about ecu problem because these guys in Hawaii where wanting 650.00 to repair it. lol Thanks again and Aloha