I Need Advice Asap

denslexusgx470

Ok I will move this to the Rx forum for sure if I don't get enough traffic in this forum.

Anyways here's the story. I found a nice used 2001 RX300, with only 45k miles. COMPLETE records at my Lexus dealership and the body hardly has any scratches and it has no dents. Minor belts have been changed, and the tires have been driven approximately about 5-10k miles only (crappy Goodyear Integrity).

Here's my question. It's an 01. What are the possible parts that may break in this vehicle due to age? In my 00 CR-V, the radiator almost got me stranded but I caught it before it overheated on me. Would the same thing happen with the RX or does Lexus use a better and more heavy duty radiator? How about engine mounts? Stereo? Electrical?

Also is a timing belt and 60k tune-up necessary in the near future??

It's more about the care that was given during that time. But, in this case, (I'm not exactly sure what years were effected) I would check the engine sludge issue. Make sure the m

The only thing I would do is negotiate the replacement of the timing belt and water pump up front. 10 years is a long time for a timing belt even if it only has 45k miles on it.

Check the above and also check the transmission fluid color and whether it smells burnt....DO NOT DO A FLUSH UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. do a drain and clean filter and a fill. As for the rest of the car, door locks do die (the actuators) but on the RX forums you will find a $15 solution...The rest of the car is pretty solid. Definetly check for the sludge. Have the front valve cover removed and look....Good luck

It's more about the care that was given during that time. But, in this case, (I'm not exactly sure what years were effected) I would check the engine sludge issue. Make sure the m

The only thing I would do is negotiate the replacement of the timing belt and water pump up front. 10 years is a long time for a timing belt even if it only has 45k miles on it.

I am aware of the engine sludge issue in the 3.0L engine around that time. The carfax indicates a religious oil change history but should I still worry about it? I didn't keep my 00 RX300 long enough to encounter any problems (got rid of her at 33k miles).

Check the above and also check the transmission fluid color and whether it smells burnt....DO NOT DO A FLUSH UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. do a drain and clean filter and a fill. As for the rest of the car, door locks do die (the actuators) but on the RX forums you will find a $15 solution...The rest of the car is pretty solid. Definetly check for the sludge. Have the front valve cover removed and look....Good luck

Actuators seem to be a common problem in a lot of vehicles due to age. Then again my 4Runner's driver's door actuator went nuts on me at exactly 3 years of ownership (which is disappointing for a Toyota product). So if I just have the valve cover removed and see that it's clean, that should let me know if it's starting to sludge or not? If I do see some sludging can it be cleaned out or should I walk away from the car?

If it has sludge, walk away, the warranty is done....8 years 2months. If it has sludge on top than it has sludge throughout the engine including the oil pick up strainers and the VVTi valve train. You dont want to go there...

Ok great. Now I have to check on the car and inspect that. Thanks. I never encountered the problem back then so im totally ignorant on what to look for. I'm starting to get a little discouraged sa this seems like an issue that I might encounter someday even though I'm religious in maintenance.

Hope you get some answers soon. I am a new member w/o a lot of time to do the appropriate research needed myself and am hoping for some ""quick advice" from you more experienced owners per mechanical ot electrical issues to expect.....

Have a pending Oxygen sensor job to do on my new purchase. It is pricey and making me realize I need some warranty protection as I am also one of the unlucky ones that has the ""key stuck in ignition syndrome"" .This terrifies me now being that I am a female, usually travelling solo and one of those dinasours that hates cell phones and doesnt even have one to use if I was to have another emergency situation with the key...

I have the same questions as you but aimed more at the expected issues for a 5 year old RX330 over the next 3-5 years period...Do you know what the obvious ones would be outside of the brakes etc? I have to shop around for a good warranty pkg that will be likely to cover the majority of issues other owners may have had between years 5-10 of ownership.. Any tips for me while I am asking for help on a ""'good warranty pkg""" that I may be able to purchase. I am Cdn though I dont know if that will limit me to dealing only with a Cdn company. They have offered me for $2393.00 plus taxes, a pkg from First Canadian Protection Plans but there is NO coverage for power accessories per windows,door actuaters,seat motor, mirror motor, and sun roof motor or steering wheel componets etc, window regulatorss, heated seats, theft system, complete vehicle wiring harness, daytime running lights etc....Any ideas as to whether this sounds typical or not for the services and parts NOT to be covered.Im a little nervous about not having the power windoww stuff covered in this offer as those were issues with my last vehicle between years 7-10. Any idea on the cost of these window repairs from your own experience in the past with other lexus':blink: Any tips or guidance, maybe names of insures you have been happy with would sure be appreciated..Good Luck on getting some responses....I'm assuming now after what I have just been thru that it would be too risky NOT to have any warranty ,right? What are your thoughts? Please and Thankyou in advance if you have any answers to relay back to me asap...

Hope you get some answers soon. I am a new member w/o a lot of time to do the appropriate research needed myself and am hoping for some ""quick advice" from you more experienced owners per mechanical ot electrical issues to expect.....

Have a pending Oxygen sensor job to do on my new purchase. It is pricey and making me realize I need some warranty protection as I am also one of the unlucky ones that has the ""key stuck in ignition syndrome"" .This terrifies me now being that I am a female, usually travelling solo and one of those dinasours that hates cell phones and doesnt even have one to use if I was to have another emergency situation with the key...

I have the same questions as you but aimed more at the expected issues for a 5 year old RX330 over the next 3-5 years period...Do you know what the obvious ones would be outside of the brakes etc? I have to shop around for a good warranty pkg that will be likely to cover the majority of issues other owners may have had between years 5-10 of ownership.. Any tips for me while I am asking for help on a ""'good warranty pkg""" that I may be able to purchase. I am Cdn though I dont know if that will limit me to dealing only with a Cdn company. They have offered me for $2393.00 plus taxes, a pkg from First Canadian Protection Plans but there is NO coverage for power accessories per windows,door actuaters,seat motor, mirror motor, and sun roof motor or steering wheel componets etc, window regulatorss, heated seats, theft system, complete vehicle wiring harness, daytime running lights etc....Any ideas as to whether this sounds typical or not for the services and parts NOT to be covered.Im a little nervous about not having the power windoww stuff covered in this offer as those were issues with my last vehicle between years 7-10. Any idea on the cost of these window repairs from your own experience in the past with other lexus':blink: Any tips or guidance, maybe names of insures you have been happy with would sure be appreciated..Good Luck on getting some responses....I'm assuming now after what I have just been thru that it would be too risky NOT to have any warranty ,right? What are your thoughts? Please and Thankyou in advance if you have any answers to relay back to me asap...

As SW just said earlier, it is not the seat heaters or window actuators that are major issues nor frequent problems, but covering the engine and components, and the transmission that are THE prime issues.

Buying a warranty is like any other insurance policy in my opinion. It is simply a matter of how much expense you are willing to bear on your own, versus paying the onetime fee and I assume, a per occurrence deductible. For me, I look at how much I keep in the "Cookie Jar" for unplanned expenses, or do I want to put a $1,000. or so on a credit card when or if I have to go in to the shop.

I am not sure you asked for it, but given how you described your situation, mu suggestion would be to go ahead with the warranty.

Paul

Honestly I would be really worried about buying one of these because of the transmission failure history...

Which generation had the tranny issue? The 1st Gen RX300 or the 2nd Gen RX330/350?

I would definatley open the top of the motor and look for yourself first. Or have a tech do it for you. In 1996, the Fed Emmissions counsil had raised the emmissions standards, along with higher MPG standards. So car mfgr's increased the engine temps, and increased the exhaust gas recirculation systems. (EGR). They also went to much lower viscosity oils. So right around 1997 on, we started seeing alot of engine sludge issues. The oil itself was just being torched inside the blocks. Some people I've talked to reccomend moving the oil filter location and adding an oil cooler as well. Most happen under 50k miles. But I've seen it happen at 80 and 100k miles as well. If the engine is sludged, just act like you've never seen this car and just move on. It's sooooooooooooo not worth it. The valvetrain mess alone is like trying to clean the ducks during the BP gulf spill. All you can do is shake your head the entire time.

If there's no sludge, and the motor really is clean, then I would say it's a keeper, and note to yourself to change the oil regularly, all the time. You should be good then.

I tried talking to the service adviser if I could have the valve cover removed but they can't because they said it's a 3.5hr job. :chairshot: My Toyota service adviser told me to check the dip stick. If it's black, then that means there's sludge even if it just got an oil change. If it's not, then it should be good and that he hardly ever saw sludge problems with that engine as long as the oil change was religious.

Can checking the dip stick be enough peace of mind? Obviously the dealer won't allow a 3.5 hr job to be done just for me to check the valves.

I can't imagine pulling the valve cover is a 3.5 hr job? But I'm not an expert...

The Dip stick can be easily replaced...so I say that isn't a great indicator but it wouldn't hurt to check it...

The dip stick determines how old the oil is and if this RX supposedly just had an oil change and the oil turns out black, then I guess that shows there's sludge all over the engine. We'll see if I push thru cuz right now the dealer is not giving any deals on this car. It's a base model so idk why the dealer thinks its gonna be a "hot" used car lol

Open the oil cap and shine in a flashlight. its DOHC so any sludge should be immediately apparent. As long as the oil was changed, and the tranny is in good shape, I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Beats a CRV by a long shot.

Open the oil cap and shine in a flashlight. its DOHC so any sludge should be immediately apparent. As long as the oil was changed, and the tranny is in good shape, I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Beats a CRV by a long shot.

Josh, I'll try to do that the next time I go in to see if they'll budge in to the price I want. I found a comparable RX on the internet at a different dealership with about 7k miles more than this one (52k miles on the one i found on the internet, the local one only has 45k ) BUT it's fully loaded. Only catch, it's AWD so SW do you think that shouldn't be considered at all??!

Well I know the early version awd rx300'had tranny problems. I have a girl that works for me that has a 03 around 112k on it awd and no tranny problems on hers. Might want to research some of the threads here about the tranny problems on the early rx's and I think I would hold off if it was a 01-02 awd myself. If I were you I would keep my eye out for a awd 330...I think you could get one for a few $k more.

The valve cover would take less than 30minutes top to remove the front one...What a bunch of usual crap from the service advisor...If you get one do as I do and run only full synthetic...I highly suggest the use of Castrol OIl

0-30 European version as it seems to even clean the engine. I have a 99 with 187k miles...good luck

Well I know the early version awd rx300'had tranny problems. I have a girl that works for me that has a 03 around 112k on it awd and no tranny problems on hers. Might want to research some of the threads here about the tranny problems on the early rx's and I think I would hold off if it was a 01-02 awd myself. If I were you I would keep my eye out for a awd 330...I think you could get one for a few $k more.

I'm also searching around for any 330s if they're in the price range with about the same miles. This is just a tertiary car so it almost feels like an unnecessary luxury on my part since the CR-V is still running awesome with just 62k on the clock. If ever, I just wanted a replacement for the V that has a little more safety features than just two front airbags. When you mentioned "early version" did you mean the whole 1st Gen (99-03) or just the 99-00? 01-03 is the 1.5Gen

The valve cover would take less than 30minutes top to remove the front one...What a bunch of usual crap from the service advisor...If you get one do as I do and run only full synthetic...I highly suggest the use of Castrol OIl

0-30 European version as it seems to even clean the engine. I have a 99 with 187k miles...good luck

That's what I was thinking also. They charge 3.5 hrs which means $300 for a 30min job? I'll take a look at the dip stick and also open the oil cap like what Josh mentioned and I'll go from there.

If I had a couple thousand $$ to spare I would just get this one 330 with 58k miles which is next door to my Lexus dealership

I tried talking to the service adviser if I could have the valve cover removed but they can't because they said it's a 3.5hr job. chair.gif My Toyota service adviser told me to check the dip stick. If it's black, then that means there's sludge even if it just got an oil change. If it's not, then it should be good and that he hardly ever saw sludge problems with that engine as long as the oil change was religious.

Can checking the dip stick be enough peace of mind? Obviously the dealer won't allow a 3.5 hr job to be done just for me to check the valves.

The only problem I have with that is I can easily clean the dipstick with some turpentine and make it look brand new again. Here's a link if you want more info about the class action lawsuit that was filed for the engine sludge issue. http://www.oilgelsettlement.com/summary_notice.pdf And for the record, Audi/VW, Dodge/Crysler, Toyota/Lexus, Saab and a few others all have the same issues in the same years. This isn't a Lexus only, RX issue.

I would ask that they allow you to have an independant tech do the inspection and ask that tech to specifically look for signs of sludging. Like I said, if the motor is clean, then just switch it to a high grade syhnthetic like Mobil 1, Amsoil, or wherever you post your flag in that minefield of an argument, and you should be great to go for many years. The RX is a great SUV, and will last well beyond 150K miles. So your looking at a car that still has 2/3's of it's life left atleast.

You would definately want to look at the transmission fluid also, look for dark or dirty fluid that smells burnt.

Personally, I am not a fan of buying SUVs in 2WD, even in an area where AWD or 4WD isn't really needed. To me, the 4WD/AWD opens up a much larger subset of buyers for it when you pass it on. For instance...here you can't even sell a 2WD SUV...

Does it ever snow where you are? If not then personally i would avoid the AWD. The individual part in the Rx300 transmissions that break so often is left out in the 2WD version, so it's very unlikely that the 2WD will give you problems.

AWD is nice to have for those few times when the weather is messy, and it would improve resale value, but based on the AWD Rx300's reputation for a bad transmission, it probably wouldn't save you any money in the long run. All it would take is for the AWD tranny to fail once and there's $4000 lost...

If it were me, i would avoid the AWD unless you need it for snow or bad weather. Just get the 2WD and save the $4000 from the start. <_<

However keep in mind the AWD brings other features such as heated seats, wood steering wheel, HID headlights and rear spoiler. It's very uncommon to find a 2WD Rx300 with all of these features. It sort of comes with a package...