Help Needed - Rear Control Arm - Ucf20

Lex4Rdny

Hi Guys.Well last week i kinda had a bad spin-out and wrecked my baby. Dented the back bumper badly and my left side wheel is messed up. Checked it out and for right now it just looks like my left rear control arm is bent badly.

Insurance cut the check (lowballed of course). After putting a lot of thought into it, iv'e decided to let my personal mechanic repair it instead of take it to their repair center.

Problem is im kinda confused on my next move. After doing some searching, the lowest price i found is on LexusPartsNow for $105 w/o shipping added. But i searched craigslist and found a guy who salvages cars who has a '96 ls (same year as mines) that told me he will pull the part and sell for $50.

Question is, should i get the used one for cheaper and just buy it brand new?

This is the part number - 48720A -ARM ASSY, REAR SUSPENSION, NO.1 LH

Replaced by: 48710-50050

*edit* dealerdirectparts & ***************** both have it for about $97 but i'm not sure if i trust those sites.

post-119538-0-58588400-1296001352_thumb.

post-119538-0-97343200-1296001592_thumb.

Hi Guys.Well last week i kinda had a bad spin-out and wrecked my baby. Dented the back bumper badly and my left side wheel is messed up. Checked it out and for right now it just looks like my left rear control arm is bent badly.

Insurance cut the check (lowballed of course). After putting a lot of thought into it, iv'e decided to let my personal mechanic repair it instead of take it to their repair center.

Problem is im kinda confused on my next move. After doing some searching, the lowest price i found is on LexusPartsNow for $105 w/o shipping added. But i searched craigslist and found a guy who salvages cars who has a '96 ls (same year as mines) that told me he will pull the part and sell for $50.

Question is, should i get the used one for cheaper and just buy it brand new?

This is the part number - 48720A -ARM ASSY, REAR SUSPENSION, NO.1 LH

Replaced by: 48710-50050

*edit* dealerdirectparts & ***************** both have it for about $97 but i'm not sure if i trust those sites.

If you take the car to get repaired and the repairs will cost more than the adjuster allowed then they should open a supplemental claim and pay additional the additional cost. The adjuster usually will as you say low ball their estimate because they can only pay you for damage that they can see. Obviously if they find additional damages when they start the repairs they have to cover them. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting a used part but for insurance purposes meaning this claim let a shop take care of it all they can deal with the insurance company for you.

Problem is i already decided to get it done myself since they already sent me the check.

It isn't a problem...or it shouldn't be. Call whatever insurance company tell them you are not able to fix your car for what they have given you. They will ask for an estimate or where the car is and proceed to open a supplemental claim.

Since the part has a ball joint in it, buying new is more advised, though few people ever replace the parts down the road the ball joints do wear out, why put an old one back on when a new one is really not that much more expensive? Now if it was an upper arm where it's like $400 new, I'd definitely go used, but an extra $40-50 is worth it for the peace of mind.

Also if you really just want to save money, you can likely find it even cheaper used if you call a few salvage yards, if it's $100 new you can find it for $25-30 if you make the effort.

If it was me though, I'd replace both sides with brand new. In fact I wonder if if they're that cheap for the UCF10, usually anything link related is minimum $200 on these cars.