Remove Key While Car In Drive

tecoach

worn out key?

I was hopeful and tried another key but still had the problem. Any other guesses? Initially, Lexus thought I might have a short because of a phone charger in the lighter but they eliminated that theory.

The car has rolled a couple times and I consider this a huge safety issue! No one seems to know what to do next. I'm not sure I want to spend a whole lot of money having to educate them on this issue. HELP!

Sorry I don't quite understand this,are you saying you removed the key whilst you were driving,the steering lock came on resulting in the car rolling 3 times or you can remove the key when stationary but still in drive?

I make sure the car in always in park before turning the engine off so don't have to rely on the interlock from the transmission to the key lock.

I can pull the key out after the car is turned off and while the gear shift is in drive...and not in park. I didn't know I had this problem b/c I typically put the gear shift in park before taking out the key. Bottom line - I should not be able to remove the key while the car is off and the gear shift is still in drive. Any ideas why this is happening?

I can pull the key out after the car is turned off and while the gear shift is in drive...and not in park. I didn't know I had this problem b/c I typically put the gear shift in park before taking out the key. Bottom line - I should not be able to remove the key while the car is off and the gear shift is still in drive. Any ideas why this is happening?

You have to get to the shifter and the ignition switch. The "Key InterLock Switch" is on the ignition switch. It gets it's signal from the "Shifter Ecu.(on the Shifter)" First get to the shifter; there is a small paddle switch [on the shifter panel, 2" forward of 'P' is a little pop up panel; the switch is directly underneath (shift lock override; I think) check that first; with the key out and pressing the switch{down}; try to shift gears (shifting should work.) Let go of switch {up}; Shifter should not move. This may be tied in with the "Key Inter Lock" directly; I know it is indirectly. If the shift lock override switch is not the problem; next check the ignition switch "Key Interlock solenoid". I'm not sure if you can get to it from underneath or not but, on the right side of the key cylinder is a little square box. put your finger on it and turn the key ("ACC") (your're feeling for a click). You might have into shift to drive. Just make sure whether or not you feel the click. Move shifter to "park"; key to "off" ECT. check every combo and record results. While your are there and if you have a mutlimeter; take off the connector {11 pin rectagle} on the back of the key cylinder. Check for 12-17 ohms on pins 7 & 8. [when looking at the connector, lock tab on top; bottom row pins 3 & 4 from the right.]

Repost after you are done with all that.