Radio Problems

nbwz

I have a 2009 Lexus ES350 that has problems with the radio. Intermittently, upon start up, either the display and/or the controls on the dasboard are inoperable. This includes on/off, volume, preset buttons, and blue tooth connection to my phone. The dealer has replaced the radio several months ago, but the current radio is starting to exhibit the same issue.

Is this a common problem?

What is the fix?

• Like 1

I have a 2007 ES and in the summer time when the car gets hot inside say after it has set a couple of hr's or more the radio will show the same symptom

as you describe. I have also heard other discussion on this matter and it caused by a radio design defect and I hope at some point lexus will correct it.

I have a 2009 Lexus ES350 that has problems with the radio. Intermittently, upon start up, either the display and/or the controls on the dasboard are inoperable. This includes on/off, volume, preset buttons, and blue tooth connection to my phone. The dealer has replaced the radio several months ago, but the current radio is starting to exhibit the same issue.

What is the fix?

I have 2008 Lexus ES350 that just experienced the same problem 2 days ago and now it will not turn on - searching for a way to reset it now - was taking it to dealer tomorrow - have verified all 3 radio fuses (2 under hood, 1 under dash) are ok. Any fixes you find, please do share and I'll do the same. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

What is the fix?

I have a 09 ES350 that doing the same thing, did anyone ever find a fix for this issue? I have it a the dealer right now and of course the radio will not fail while they have it there.

• 1 month later...

What is the fix?

I have 2008 Lexus ES350 that just experienced the same problem 2 days ago and now it will not turn on - searching for a way to reset it now - was taking it to dealer tomorrow - have verified all 3 radio fuses (2 under hood, 1 under dash) are ok. Any fixes you find, please do share and I'll do the same. Thanks!

My 2007 ES350 just exhibited the same issues today (radio buttons on console are unresponsive, stereo screen is faint/ flickers). It has been sitting out in the record setting heat for a few hours. Has anyone found a solution to this issue? Will it resolve itself once the car cools down?

• 1 month later...

I took my 2008 to dealer today for similar intermittent radio issue: LED fades out during operation, buttons non-functioning, not detecting my cell phone, CD ejects when I pressed radio preset buttons. I used my cell phone and recorded a video when it was not working, and showed it to the service manager. He told me he will order a replacement unit and will take 4~5 days to come in. Still under warranty, but due to expire in 3 months, so I just extended it to 8-yr/80K through Jerry Johnson of KS Toyota, figuring I may start seeing some other issues showing up now which may be covered under warranty.

• 1 year later...

there is a problem with lexus and their radios. just bought the top of the line 2013 lexus ES350 2 weeks ago. we have the same problem. very poor radio receiption. lots of static. lexus definately knows about this...cars going to back to the dealer ASAP!

• 3 weeks later...

Our 2008 ES350 seems to have the same issue after it sits in the sun on a hot day. after it cools off in the evening if you cycle it off/on everything works like new. Our ES has always spent most days in the garage but now my wife works part time and it sits in a mall parkinglot all day. I am going to get one of those solar reflectors for the windshield and see if that helps.

• 2 years later...

Hi Rick,

I  had a 2005 ES 350, but the button problem doesn't sound familiar. There are two things I would try. One is to do a search on this site for postings. Do you have an owners manual?

Or, try TIS, which is Toyota Service Information.This site covers every Toyota brands.,Lexus, Scion and Lexus. The first level is $15 for 48 hours of use. I highly recommend this resource.

Paul

• 2 years later...

I have a 2010 ES350 with Navigation and I have been noticing this behavior a couple of times. I drive home and all was working fine. Parked the car till the next morning and started to go out but dead radio. Restarted checked fuses but no joy. Without much time to lose, I drove on and 20mins later, the radio starts working. 2 months later same problem and unit came on 30mins later. Last week it went out for 2 days and just came back on this morning on its own.

• 3 months later...

Reviving this old thread for anyone who might benefit from my experience.

My 2007 ES350 recently had the no volume control problem (Broken volume control).  Had same problem on another even older car, and same symptoms on my friend's Highlander.  Searching the Web, found two solutions.  The basic problem is corrosion on the contacts inside the volume control, perfectly normal / typical problem you'll see on most any older audio equipment, not a Unicorn, not Lexus specific, something your local friendly dealer has probably no idea about - other than replacing the radio for 3-4 figure price.  Phooey!

Fix #1 is, while radio is turned OFF, rotate the volume control 30-40 turns clockwise, and same counterclockwise. Try the radio, if fixed, great, if not, try it again a few times. This will *often* get the corrosion off, and your volume control will work fine - for a while.  Fix #2 is a longer-term solution, again, you want to get rid of the corrosion, what you need is a small spray can of "Contact Cleaner"  Contact Cleaner @ amazn that will wash off the corrosion - How to use it is explained in this YouTube video:  HERE

BTW.. Again, this is not Lexus or ES350 specific, both fixes will work on other radios, make of car does not matter.  Hope this helps, it worked for me.  

Use Fix #2 at your own risk / digression, I'm take no responsibility for any damage that might occur, just passing on my experiences.

• 2 years later...
On 8/31/2011 at 12:31 AM, windemere1 said:

I took my 2008 to dealer today for similar intermittent radio issue: LED fades out during operation, buttons non-functioning, not detecting my cell phone, CD ejects when I pressed radio preset buttons. I used my cell phone and recorded a video when it was not working, and showed it to the service manager. He told me he will order a replacement unit and will take 4~5 days to come in. Still under warranty, but due to expire in 3 months, so I just extended it to 8-yr/80K through Jerry Johnson of KS Toyota, figuring I may start seeing some other issues showing up now which may be covered under warranty.

I just inherited my moms 2009 RX 350 and this exact same issue is happening. Out of the blue, the LED on the radio screen fades in and out and with the fade accompanies equivalent fade and on and off of the music playing. Happens in all modes, which tells me it’s strictly electrical or something relating to the computer/digital parts. This is a fairy Oder post so I’m wondering if anyone has found the magic answer. 

also this is for non-navigation and non Bluetooth model.