Battery In Key

K.C. Dia

My 2011 Lexus 350ES is now 13 months old. How long can I expect the battery in the key to last. I use the vehicle every day. Are there any signs that the battery is getting weak and does the dealer have to replace it. There does not seem to be any way to take the key apart.

In our experience with the similar key in the Prius, I'd say 2 years life is pretty average. Symptoms include it being picky about unlocking when you put your hand on the door handle, failing to recognize the key when you go to start, etc.

• 3 years later...

I just got my "new to me" Lexus this month. One key fob is already registering that it needs a new battery.

Before I pry this fob open (dealer is a 2 hour drive away).. is there a chance I might break it when I try to open it?

What should I be careful of? Anything?

Thank you.

Oh.. and when it starts registering on the dash that it has a low battery.. about how long does one typically last before it's done completely? I know all batteries are different.. just looking for an approximate.

To my knowledge there is no way to measure the "working" time left on those batteries. Since it is virtualy bullet proof to open and change the battery, and the battery is so cheap, just do it once a year to make your self feel secure. The batteries are available at Interstate Batteries, Clock stores, and any place that sells small batteries such as those mentioned in your Owners Manual.

You do not have to buy a battery from your dealer. They charge way to much.