Towing Package

elleh20

How would a tow package make the engine louder? It's at the back of the vehicle.

In theory, any added weight would reduce fuel economy but but all the components of a tow package probably weigh about as much as a three year old child. You won't notice it and it won't whine like a three year old! :whistles:

Even if you never tow anything, it can still be handy to have a receiver trailer hitch. You could plug in a bicycle rack for example which is the main thing I use the receiver hitch on my LS for. There are also storage boxes and racks that plug into a receiver hitch for carrying stuff which is a lot quieter (no wind noise) than carrying stuff on the roof rack.

I'd say ... count yourself lucky!

How would a tow package make the engine louder? It's at the back of the vehicle.

In theory, any added weight would reduce fuel economy but but all the components of a tow package probably weigh about as much as a three year old child. You won't notice it and it won't whine like a three year old! :whistles:

Even if you never tow anything, it can still be handy to have a receiver trailer hitch. You could plug in a bicycle rack for example which is the main thing I use the receiver hitch on my LS for. There are also storage boxes and racks that plug into a receiver hitch for carrying stuff which is a lot quieter (no wind noise) than carrying stuff on the roof rack.

I'd say ... count yourself lucky!

The tow package includes a heavy duty radiator and heavy duty alternator....maybe not a bunch of weight, but I think those are in the FRONT of the vehicle. ;)

The 2011 is louder than past models IMO, but I'm being told the towing package has little to nothing to do with that.

Lexus doesn't include the trailer hitch on a towing package - it is just tow ready and has the capacity.

Thanks though!

The tow package includes a heavy duty radiator and heavy duty alternator....maybe not a bunch of weight, but I think those are in the FRONT of the vehicle. ;)

The 2011 is louder than past models IMO, but I'm being told the towing package has little to nothing to do with that.

Lexus doesn't include the trailer hitch on a towing package - it is just tow ready and has the capacity.

Thanks though!

It's the extra two quarts of water sloshing around the radiator and the additional electrons careening around the engine compartment causing the racket. :rolleyes:

I mainly know the RX from getting them as loaners but memory I always take away after driving or riding in one is the engine noise. It's not all that noisy -- just more engine noise than in other Lexus models I've been in.

Thanks though!

It's the extra two quarts of water sloshing around the radiator and the additional electrons careening around the engine compartment causing the racket. :rolleyes:

I mainly know the RX from getting them as loaners but memory I always take away after driving or riding in one is the engine noise. It's not all that noisy -- just more engine noise than in other Lexus models I've been in.

LOL!! Thanks...and yes - the RX is louder than most.

I had a GS350 before, but didn't like how that one rattled...sounded cheap.

• 2 months later...

I dont see any of the mentioned problems with the tow package. I am more than happy with my decision of getting the tow package.

A larger radiator and alternator is definitely a plus.

Not to mention the extra ATF cooling capability of the external ATF cooler.