Excellent Fuel Consumption.

Mile_High_Flyer

I have just done a trip of over 1000 kilometres, or 600 miles, in my '99 LS400. The roads were what we call Main Hiway, with some Motorway, or Freeway. Most of the roads are course chip seal, which are noisier and have more drag, than concrete or machine-laid asphalt. My overall fuel consumption was 8.1 litres/100km, 34.87 imperial mpg, 29.04 US mpg. That included quite a bit of air conditioning on the first day. The last 200 km, 120 miles, I used 7.6 litres/100km, 37.17 imp mpg, 30.95 US mpg. Most of the time, air temperature was 24 to 26 degrees C, 75 to 79 F. Most of the time I was cruising at about 95 km/h, 60 mph. It did also include some city type driving, and some steep hills. I reckon this is pretty good, fora heavy car with a V8. What say all you people out there? Cheers, Keith.

That's very good mileage figures,I guess a very light foot on the gas pedal helped along with a constant cruising speed,the later LS engines produced better fuel economy than the earlier ones even with more power output.

Valve radios eh those were the days I can't remember the last time I worked on a TRF or replaced a PCL86.

How much alcohol do they add to your gasoline?

Lol. Pure gas, no additives, no ethanol, no bio, no pills etc. And what's more, 91 Octane. Not even our 95 octane. Lexus here say it's not a good idea to use the Bio fuel, so I don't, even though it's 98 octane. Cheers.

That's very good mileage figures,I guess a very light foot on the gas pedal helped along with a constant cruising speed,the later LS engines produced better fuel economy than the earlier ones even with more power output.

Valve radios eh those were the days I can't remember the last time I worked on a TRF or replaced a PCL86.

Hi Steve. Yup, light foot, that's me! It was certainly noticeable how the fuel consumption would go up dramatically, when we started climbing hills/mountains. Sometimes, it didn't look like we were going up, except for the increased fuel, and my watch altimeter going up too.

I don't do too much on the radios at this stage. Actually, I'm doing a bit more on early transistors at the moment. The biggest problems they seem to have, is the same as the valve radios. Electrolytics. Cheers, Keith.

That's nice mileage! I'm right there with you in terms of consumption on my 99LS. If I use the cruise control, my mileage is noticeably higher according to the computer than cruising without cruise control. I run about 27 - 28 mpg at 70+ mph on the freeway. Our terrain would be considered "rolling hills."

My 2000 ls 400 with 131,000 miles got 27mpg on a trip from Florida to New Jersey this summer. That was with luggage and 3 people on board. This car rides like a new car!! Love it.