Snow Driving

I purchased a 2006 IS350 RWD this past summer. It has Bridgestone Performance (non all weather) tires. With some recent snows, there is no handling and no traction. Down right scary driving. I feel like an ice cube in a teflon pan. I've put an additional 100 lbs in the trunk by very little improvement.

I'm hoping to make it through this winter and through the summer before buying 4 all season tires. Does anyone with RWD have a 'trick' they are using to get around on snow? Any recommendations on all season tires? I'm thinking Michelin.

Maybe check out with the service people whether taking the air out and putting nitogen into the tires instead of air could give you better traction. It apparently is supposed to keep your tires at a more constant pressure and less at the mercy of the constiction and expansion we get in the rubber tires from exposure to extreme changes in temperature.Maybe it could buy you some traction and time before you have to purchase all new tires. We drive on ice and snow up here all the time and I have to say after now driving a vehicle with new all season tires on it and at times still driving the one with the old tires on it the difference is from nite to day with the new ones. Driving in snow can be a scary experience and isnt worth risking ones life for by driving on bad tires that are at the mercy still of possibly being under inflated from one day to the next depending on the temp...The nitrogen switch comes at a cost of $70.00 here in town and I was advised if you do this to make sure you do your spare tire also...A lot of people here in the North will put snow tires on in the winter if they do alot of driving but i was told they were unnecessary for normal driving as long as you have good all season ones on that have good treads on them...Trust me when I say the difference will be felt when you get some new tires on but hopefully maybe the nitrogen switch could be helpful in the interim .....Check it out

I've got a set of four new (last Spring) Michelin MXV4 all season tires for my 2000 LS400 -- very nice -- but I the MXM4 may be the closest to the MXV4 that would fit your IS350.

I had a set of Bridgestone RE750 summer tires for my LS before I bought the Michelins. The RE750's were the best handling tire I've ever used on an LS but they didn't last long (22,000? miles) and I wouldn't have dreamed of using them in snow ... i.e. I value my life. :rolleyes:

I've used snow tires on every rear wheel drive car I've owned since the 1960's except a few I owned less than one year. My 00 LS is currently on Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 winter tires.

A set of winter tires for your IS350 would likely run you $800 to $1,000 and you could double that if you want a second set of wheels to put them on. It is a small price to pay for not having to worry or contend with moments of terror while driving on snow and ice.

I've got a set of four new (last Spring) Michelin MXV4 all season tires for my 2000 LS400 -- very nice -- but I the MXM4 may be the closest to the MXV4 that would fit your IS350.

I had a set of Bridgestone RE750 summer tires for my LS before I bought the Michelins. The RE750's were the best handling tire I've ever used on an LS but they didn't last long (22,000? miles) and I wouldn't have dreamed of using them in snow ... i.e. I value my life. :rolleyes:

I've used snow tires on every rear wheel drive car I've owned since the 1960's except a few I owned less than one year. My 00 LS is currently on Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 winter tires.

A set of winter tires for your IS350 would likely run you $800 to $1,000 and you could double that if you want a second set of wheels to put them on. It is a small price to pay for not having to worry or contend with moments of terror while driving on snow and ice.

In addition to the Blizzak, I would also recommend the Michelin X-ICE. I just put four on my ES350 a few weeks ago and "wow", what a great tire. In addition to traction and excellent stooping on ice and packed snow, they are VERY quiet and ride like a dream. I don't know if they are a good fit for an IS, but I would sure suggest you keep them in mind.

I paid about $135. per tire, and as Jim said above, even if money is tight, the tires are cheaper than an accident, which is what I had just before I decided to put on the snow tires. I slid on packed snow and ice and rear ended a SUV. $7100. damage to my Lexus and four weeks without my baby.

Good luck,

May the Force be with you. LOL

Paul

I paid about $135. per tire, and as Jim said above, even if money is tight, the tires are cheaper than an accident, which is what I had just before I decided to put on the snow tires. I slid on packed snow and ice and rear ended a SUV. $7100. damage to my Lexus and four weeks without my baby.

Good luck,

May the Force be with you. LOL

Paul

My neck...my back...my neck and my back! :cries:

Hope no one was seriously hurt. Did the shop do a good job?

And the force be with you! :blink:

Man Jim, your right on the money. My neck ached for about two weeks. Body shop did an excellent job. The fit and finish were perfect. Actually had the dealer do the work as the insurance company had them chosen as one of their preferred providers.

More snow this week.

Paul