Found New Pre-Owned Ls430

sgretchko

I found a 2002 LS430 w/ Ultra package and 53k miles. Silver with ivory interior. It was bought, serviced and traded in at Park Place Lexus in Plano, TX. The carfax was clean and supported the Park Place story that it was driven sparingly by a retired couple. The service history was similar. In any case, I searched the preowned inventory of dealers all over the country and this car stood out for low mileage, one owner and high level of equipment with proper service. It was priced competitively with similar cars with less equipment and higher (65 to 90k) miles.

In fact, it was priced the same as the '99 LS400 with 17k miles. In any case, comments, questions and criticism are welcome. Thank you.

It does include the air suspension. My understanding is that it is less problematic in the LS430 and can be converted at a high but not grossly unreasonable cost.

In addition, it is hard to find this combination of low miles, condition and maintenance history. Especially when you have a time deadline, I need a car quickly. The Ultra package was just a bonus and I will take the bad with the good.

I wonder if the "problematic air suspension" is getting a bad rap or is there really that many with problems. I guess the ones that have no problem with it never gets mentioned. My 95 has the air and works perfectly at 150,000 miles, now I hope that I have not put the jinks on it by praising it.

It does include the air suspension. My understanding is that it is less problematic in the LS430 and can be converted at a high but not grossly unreasonable cost.

In addition, it is hard to find this combination of low miles, condition and maintenance history. Especially when you have a time deadline, I need a car quickly. The Ultra package was just a bonus and I will take the bad with the good.

You will always have a few bugs in any pre-owned car, but this sounds like a sweet deal! Good luck and enjoy!!

Paul

Doesn't the Ultra package include the problematic air suspension? Costs big buck$ to get it fixed if it goes bad.

Plano is in your neighborhood, isn't it Billy?

yep, just down the street, and they do keep some excellent cars on their lot..... I just cant afford them, the "miles" are of no concern to me when I am hunting a replacement... just its condition.

I mean...my Dad had a 98 with 160k on it when he traded it, with the air suspension with no trouble. His '04 that my Mom still has 95k or so on it...its an Ultra with the air suspension...no problems...

Thanks for the comments, I will let you know if I have problems with the air suspension. I agree with Billy, condition is more important than miles. When you have very limited time and can't travel to look, it is an important indicator. In addition, more pre-owned Lexus in the Dallas area than the Detroit area.

Billy - the car will be at the dealership tomorrow with a sold sign. Feel free to stop by and take a look, you opinion is always valued. Thanks again.

Billy,

It was very nice of you to stop by and post the pictures. While it was unnecessary and unexpected, I really appreciate it. It adds a level of comfort to making a big purchase sight unseen with people you have never met.

As for the tires, I kinda figured I would have to replace them soon. The tires on the car are intended for the year round warm Texas climate and would not be the best for the Michigan winter with snow. In any case, the LS400 was due for tires in the next six months so I had already planned for it.

I would like to thank you personally, please call me at 248 765-4005.

It looks lovely; if the price is good grab it.

My car had about 65k on it when I bought it and I asked the guys at Lexus of Riverside (who did the PPI) about the air suspension, and they told me that typically on the later LS400/and LS430 cars the shocks are typically good for 150k; up from 100k on the earlier cars. This car has been in a temperate climate that's not too dry so the rubber will probably be in pretty good shape. In the early years 30% of LS430s were sold with the UL package so if that generation of air shocks were problematic we'd probably have heard about it by now.

YMMV but they are FAR better than the early MB W210 shocks, which had a bad controller and occasionally the car would drop to the ground or jack itself up and trash the shocks.

The UL package has a lot of toys, and if they do break they are expensive to repair, but my experience has been they are fairly reliable. Toyota has offered these options on the JDM Celsiors for years (the first Celsior had optional reclining rear seats) so they are proven designs. The only electrical thing that has died on my car was the driver's door lock actuator, which is a standard part.

A family friend had that same color combination when the LS430 came out and the grey wood is striking; it looks almost like marble up close. Enjoy it!

A family friend had that same color combination when the LS430 came out and the grey wood is striking; it looks almost like marble up close. Enjoy it!

You're right - the gray maple trim is almost stunning.

By coincidence, I purchased the exact same car in Orange County, Ca. last May - 2002 LS430 Millennium Silver, Ecru Interior with the Gray Birdseye Maple trim. Was fortunate enough to find one with only 41K on it (now 43k) and it drives and looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Only difference is mine is the 'CL' or Custom Luxe' version which doesn't have the air suspension nor back seat controls/goodies. Fwiw, the only thing I added were stock chrome wheels and tint as it's driven in California.

Good driving !

Will and the Furry Ones in the OC

Doesn't the Ultra package include the problematic air suspension? Costs big buck$ to get it fixed if it goes bad.

Plano is in your neighborhood, isn't it Billy?

I have a Lexus LS400.I t- bone a lady last night and very happy that i felt safe and came out of it good! I LOVE MY CAR VERY MUCH!!!THANKS FOR MAKING MY CAR SAFE!! My car has some damage, unable to drive it right now .I am very proud of my car.She is old!But safe and fun to drive.i pray they can fix her.I know she cost alot to fix,but worth every PENNY!!!! I just wanted ya to know how proud i am of my car. thanks ,Amy Rankin

• 3 months later...

Which website did you use to search for preowned inventory of dealers all over the country?

This information would be very helpful since I am in the market for an LS430, and keep my LS400 as a winter car.

Thanks