Rear Suspension

derek49

hi im new to lexus i just got a ls400 98 model when i was looking at the underside i noticed a broken rod on the drivers side rear its connected to what looks like an electric sensor its a little rod about 3 inches long with balljoints on each end there is also one on the front whats it for thanks

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

What you are describing sounds like the height sensor link.

Lexus Part "Link Sub assy Height Control Sensor rear"

Part # 48906-50030 RH

Part # 48906-50040 LH.

These connect to the ride height sensors and maintain the car on the level.

Below is a link explaining the operation and a possible replacement remedy without involving Lexus parts at over $100.00 each

http://evansweb.info/2009/11/23/ls400-ride-height-sensor-repair

In a thread on the UK part of this forum in which Jon Evans of evansweb participated in, another member said that a height sensor rod from an LX470 can be used: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=65709&st=0&p=712412&fromsearch=1entry712412

"LX470 part is 48906-60010", per the above UK forum thread.

I've seen a bunch of LS photos on the UK forum that seem to show vastly more suspension and body corrosion than I've ever seen on LS cars of similar vintage here in the U.S. snow belt. What's with that?

thanks for that guys i will make one of them rods brilliant post in reply as to why cars rust in uk its because we use salt on the roads in winter eats your car away

Not forgetting we also pay nearly $9.00 a gallon for gas AND have ours cars destroyed by road salt!!!

I did some reading which seemed to indicate that the U.K. relies more on rock salt and that the U.S. has moved largely towards calcium chloride derived from salt brine. A significant amount of sand is also used on roads here in the winter but I've noticed the amount of sand used on roads varies a lot in different parts of the U.S. Maybe the these deicing materials are the difference.

I paid $3.15 for a gallon of high octane gasoline yesterday here in Kansas. The current exchange rate between the U.S. dollar and the British pound seems fairly reasonable these days in terms of relative purchasing power compared to the extreme highs and lows of the past.